Chapter 8: Quinn

The next day is a whirl of excitement.

My mother and sister are going away for the week on a Mother-Daughter excursion. The local church raffled tickets to a Cruise trip to the Bahamas and they had just announced a few days ago that my mother won. They had to leave today. My father had a business trip to Texas and they decide to hire Iain to watch over me for the week.

I'm reeling from the news.

I also realize that I've gone down from my room only to be told by my Mom while Iain's sitting on the breakfast bar. He's wearing a cream collared long sleeved pullover shirt, dark olive green cotton military trousers and dark gray Chelsea leather boots. 

There's a hint of facial stubble as I notice how his five o'clock shadow looks amazing on him, making Iain look more mature, sophisticated with this "I-can-still-look-hot-even-if-I-don't-have-the-time-to-shave" attitude. I usually prefer clean shaven men, but he pulls it off so well that I'm more than willing to make an exception. 

 He gives me a knowing smile and I blush furiously because I'm still in my nightgown. It's an oversized mint green shirt that reaches a little above my knees with the words "Bear Hug" emblazoned above. The shirt depicts a huge black bear that looks like it's hugging me with its paws strategically placed on each of my butt cheeks. At least I'm not wearing my plush Unicorn slippers, which was my Christmas gift from Britney because I could have died right here and there.

"That's nice, Mom." I nod, as if without a care in the world. "Good morning, Iain."

"Good morning," he murmurs not taking his eyes off the bear. I curse myself because I'm not wearing a bra underneath.

"You better get dressed, Iain will take you to school." My mother kisses my cheek quickly. Iain steps off his stool and turns to help my mother with her bags. Fran's outside waiting patiently. They strode off in minutes and I make a beeline to the bathroom.

I shower quickly and choose to wear something that'll make me look sophisticated and not trying too hard. I go for a collared white lace blousy dress with a slightly open v-neck with holes designed like paisleys then top it off with a yellow and white headband. Then I get a leather chunky belt and cinch it to the middle and accentuate the whole outfit with chunky-heeled brown and white Oxfords. I always wear my gold cross as a reminder of my faith and hopefully, God will erase Iain's earlier memory of me and that Bear Hug shirt when he finds me wearing this.

  I always wear my gold cross as a reminder of my faith and hopefully, God will erase Iain's earlier memory of me and that Bear Hug shirt when he finds me wearing this

As I make my way down, Iain is on his mobile phone. He's rolled up his pullover at the sleeves and I get a good glimpse of those bronzed muscled forearms and his hands as he mindlessly twirls a pen around his strong, masculine fingers. I watch as my mouth goes dry wondering what those hands would feel like running through my hair and how that stubble on his chin would feel against my skin.

"What's the situation over with the Strasbourg dealings and that new startup of Elon's regarding airplane compressors?" he asks, still on the phone. "Great. Inform Miller and tell him to send me a copy through e-mail stat. We need to beat them to it before Musk finally makes up his damn mind."