Chapter 3

Toni groaned placing her hand into Kenny's, he sighed in relief as they ran out the back gate.

"Wait! Wait!" Toni let out a tiring breathe.

Kenny stopped in his tracks and looked back at her.

"My car is just around this block-"

She held her hand up before she began to remove the wedges she was wearing.

"Okay. I'm good now." She nodded.

They continued their running spree finally reaching his navy blue jeep. He opened the passenger door for her and helped her get in, walking around to his side he got in and faced her.

"Wanna go to a gas station and phone her?" He asked.

She nodded slowly, just as little droplets began to splash down against the windows and windscreen. She folded her arms over her chest and stared out the window not saying much. Kenny frowned inserting the key into the ignition starting the engine.
__________________________

"Paris if get this message please call me back, I just wanna make sure you're okay and not in jail. Please..." Toni sighed, she held the telephone against her chest and bit her lip worriedly before she hung it up and stepped out the phone booth.

"Still no answer?" Kenny asked moving away from his car which he was leaning against.

Toni shook her head, "I feel like such a bad sister. What if she gets arrested? It would be all my fault." Toni broke down as she buried her face into her hands and began to cry.

"That doesn't make you a bad sister..." Kenny sighed unsure of what to do.

He rubbed her shoulder and eventually she wrapped her arms around him sobbing into his chest.

"You're wetting my shirt- okay just let it all out." He sighed rubbing his hands up and down her back.

The two of them stood there for awhile before a grey mustang pulled up. Kenny squinted his eyes at the car, the window began to roll down.

"Toni!"

Toni pulled away as Kenny removed his arms from around her. She wiped away her tears and turned around and sighed in relief when she saw Paris.

"Paris!" She happily said.

"Get in!" Paris scolded.

Toni nodded facing Kenny,

"Thank you," she said. He smiled back watching as she rushed up to the passengers side and got in.

He watched the grey mustang drive off before he looked down at his soaked shirt. He let out a breathe before he got into his jeep.

The car ride was silent and a bit awkward as Toni stared out the window and Paris sucked her teeth.

"So you and Kenny are a thing huh?" Paris blurted out.

A small smile spread across Toni's face as she remained to stare at the houses they passed, Paris glanced over at Toni still waiting on her to respond.

"Dad obviously doesn't know, he'd flip if he knew." Paris chuckled.

"Dad doesn't need to know anything because there is nothing for him to know." Toni nonchalantly said.

Paris glanced over at Toni and squinted her eyes at her before she placed her attention onto the road again.
______________________________

"Toni! Come here I want you to meet someone." Michael excitedly said waving towards himself.

Toni got up and squinted her eyes at him.

"It's pastor Nicolas." Michael said happily.

Toni pulled her face in confusion handing her bible to Trey and walking out with her father. Trey flipped open the front page of her bible and smiled as he read over the font her name was written in, to Toni from Tremaine. He was definitely a first grader back when he gave her this bible and he couldn't believe she still used it.

"You like her don't you?" Paris whispered leaning into him.

Trey looked at her immediately closing Toni's bible.

"Yeah but not in the way you're thinking. I like her as my friend." Trey protested.

Paris ran her hand down her face folding her arms over her chest in annoyance.

"Still so childish." Paris sucked her teeth shaking her head.

Trey stared at her before he raised his hand.

"Yes Trey?" Eva smiled.

"May I be excused?" Trey asked.

Eva smiled lightly and nodded her head, Trey got up and rushed out the church.
_________________________

"Nicolas this is my daughter Toni." Michael introduced.

"Nice to meet you sir." Toni smiled shaking his hand.

"Likewise, so she's the smart and talented one that will be following in your footsteps?" Nicolas asked, "yes." Michael nodded proudly.

"Following in his footsteps?" Toni raised her eyebrows in confusion.

"Yes honey." Michael smiled rubbing her back.

Toni was lost.

"Your father has told me so many great things about you, especially how you want to attend Harvard-"

"Well actually-"

"And it's so wonderful that you'll be doing biblical studies as well, not a lot of female preachers are out there. Listen I am more than available to assist you with whatever you may want and need. Just give me a call." Nicolas smiled as Toni did the same.

"I'll walk you out Nicolas." Michael said escorting him out.

Toni let out a frustrated breathe, she never told her father that she wanted to do biblical studies and much less go to Harvard right away. Toni's attention shot towards the door as soon as her father stepped in.

"I'm so proud of you." Michael smiled pulling her into a warm hug.

She frowned hugging him back.