Chapter 9: Death Prime

"You have some nerves to step inside this room, you little brat."

Those are the words that came out of RB's mouth the moment he saw the person delivering his supper. RB's eyes narrowed with the newcomer's every step, his shattered gems quivering dangerously on the floor.

Devon just walked straight forward and didn't even look at RB. He then placed the tray of food just outside the purple barrier before clicking his fingers, causing the tray to disappear and reappear inside the barrier.

"It's been a long time, Devon. Aren't you going to snarl at me? Aren't you going to make me feel inferior with your marvelous deception? You were able to fool us before, remember? Why don't you rub it in my face now? Come on, you're on a higher ground after all," RB said.

Devon didn't say another word as he dashed out of the room and closed the door.

RB was already in the middle of eating his solitary supper when he heard voices outside his room. The voices eventually faded and he heard footsteps walking away. Several moments later, Jelal came inside wearing an all-black attire of pants, sleek coat, and an inner shirt.

"Nice attire. You look like you're about to attend a party," RB said, a chicken leg clamped on his mouth.

"The highest members of the Legion just had a meeting. Jaeron insisted that everyone should be dressed properly that's why he gave us new clothes. We're supposed to be evil, and that explains the color," Jelal replied as he took his coat off and sat near RB.

"Are you sure that no one is suspecting you?" RB asked.

The Fear Weirdo sighed. "I think so. Besides, I only talk to you when it's my turn to stand guard at your door. I am being very careful. Also, all the highest members of the Legion are going to be busy in the coming days, so we don't have to worry about getting caught."

"What happened in the meeting?"

"The usual. They talked about how to strengthen their grip over the institutions that they've already conquered. Also, you were right about Serafina's plan with your friends. She's going to lure them into this school and then take your friends as hostages to control the more powerful members of their group. That's the reason why there's not a single protective enchantment around the school," Jelal explained.

"And I was right. . . as usual," RB said with a sigh. "If only there was a way to contact my friends. . ."

"Uh. . . RB?"

"Yes?"

"Maybe we should try to escape now. I mean, waiting for your friends is a good idea but waiting for them to come here, in a place reeking with villains, will only put them in greater danger. Besides, you're quickly losing your powers," Jelal said, scanning the shattered gems on the floor. "Being free even without your friends is much better than being imprisoned here and waiting for someone that you don't even know when will come. We could just find your friends once we're out there. I'm sure they still have friends in the NMLEA or even here in Emerald."

"If I have any idea where they might be hiding then I wouldn't even waste my time being imprisoned here. However, I really don't know where to go once we're out of the school. We can't just trust anyone. The Legion already showed us that they have influence over almost everything. It's too risky," RB explained.

Jelal looked unconvinced. "I really don't mind staying here a bit longer, but it's you who I'm worried about. . . You're not looking so good, RB. Your mother is getting desperate on how to make you accept your true powers, and I'm afraid that she's going to resort to drastic measures soon. You said that she can mask your memories, right? What if she does it again once your friends arrive? You're just going to make things difficult for your friends. That's why I think we should escape as soon as possible," he said.