Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty | Vice President

I glared at the table. Nanatili ang mata ko roon at naramdaman ang panliliit sa aking upuan.

I suddenly felt a sting of insecurity in my system. I was never part of Zach's world then. Sex was the only thing that kept us together. Ni hindi ko nakilala ang kanyang mga magulang at kaibigan maliban kay Zeus. Our affair was only ever between the two of us, and Shai, when she found out about it.

"Good afternoon, everyone. I apologize for this sudden board meeting. I hope this meeting did not interfere with your busy schedules." Ani Zach sa matigas na English. "Shall we start?" Dagdag nito.

The meeting commenced after Zach's opening statement. I raised my gaze upang sundan and employee na tumayo galing sa sofa at mukhang kabado. She's probably going to do a presentation today.

"Good a-afternoon, members of the board," Tumango ito sa iilang tao sa round table, "Mr. President, sir Zachary Corpuz," and kanyang tingin ay lumipat sa malayong dako ng round table, kung saan nakaupo si Zach. I did not even dare turn to look at him.

"And to all employees of CFCV who are here today, good afternoon." The girl said, looking a little more confident than when she greeted the members. "In the moments that follow, I will be representing my team in discussing the reviews, findings, and possible solutions to the company's proposed Collateralized Debt Obligation project..."

Her voice faded in the background as I looked around to see everyone listening intently. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ako nandito. I am the only department head present at kahit ganoon ay walang kinalaman and departmento ko sa nagaganap na diskurso. This is obviously for Finance.

I'm not supposed to be in this room with all these important people.

Mas lalo akong nanlumo nang nakitang nakatingin si Laia Alverastine sa aking gawi. It was as if she was weighing my whole being with her stares. Nang nagtama ang aming mata ay mabilis itong nag iwas ng tingin.

Nagpatuloy ang babae sa paglalahad. She used the large screen to display the findings of how it could affect the entire finance industry of the country. I understood some of her references ngunit nag iilang jargons doon ay hindi ko na maintindihan.

Nang matapos ang kanyang presentation ay napalakpakan ang mga board members.

"That was a brilliant presentation, Miss Ortiga." Komento ng isa sa mga mas matandang member.

The employee smiled shyly. "I will now welcome any inquiry that you may have."

My gaze wandered around the room nang nakitang halos majority ng mga members ay may tanong. My breathing hitched nang napunta ang tingin ko kay Zach.

Nakapalumbaba ito sa kanyang desk habang mariin na nakatingin sa akin. While the other investors and members were busy talking to the presenter, his whole attention was focused on me. His face was grim and serious habang nakatingin sa akin but there was a wicked gleam in his eyes.

Why did you make me come here, Zach?

I challenged his gaze, na para bang gusto kong basahin niya ang iniisip ko. I want to know what sick game he is playing. I want him to know that I am angry because this meeting was probably to make me see that to him, I am no one.

He has established a throne in the world of finance. He has everything. He is at the top. Everything that I am is nothing to who he is. Walang wala ako. I am just a woman he used to bed and for some reason, he wanted to make me suffer.

To him, this is nothing personal. Maybe he's just hell-bent on hurting me. Kung bakit iyon ang gusto niya ay hindi ko alam.

Nag-iwas ako ng tingin ngunit ramdam ko parin ang mainit nitong tingin sa akin.

"Miss Ortiga..." Si Laia Alverastine na ngayon ay nakataas ang kamay. "I have a comment. May I?"

The girl in front looked nervous as she slowly nodded.

"Your report was wholesome. However, while I think that executing a CDO in this company has the potential to be a game-changer in both the banking sector and accountancy firms, I also believe it is quite ambitious. CDOs are effective in countries like America, where banks thrive on mortgages and student loans." She confidently uttered, "Wala 'yan dito sa Pilipinas, Miss Ortiga."

"Kung mayroon man, they comprise only little of people's debts. Marginalized Filipino students tend to support their education through labor. Hindi sila dependent sa utang. Sa housings naman, majority of the Filipinos opt to rent o kung hindi man ay mayroon nang sariling bahay at lupa passed from generation to generation. The only sector that can profit from mortgages is real estate."

Umawang ang bibig ng presenter. Tumango ang iilan sa mga members.

"Does anyone still have comments or clarifications? Zachary?" She asked. The way she said his name formed bile on my throat.

"I will take your opinion into consideration, Miss Alverastine. I would like to commend Miss Ortiga for the well-delivered presentation. Send me a copy of this report and I will review it. We can always strategize... after all, CDOs are focused on investors." Zachary replied formally.

Laia smiled proudly at his answer. The older members and investors agreed with him.

"Head of Accounting?" Laia's head suddenly snapped in my direction. I can see a glint of malice in her eyes.

Everyone else's attention drifted to me. My heart started beating faster as I slowly shook my head.

"N-None." I managed to croak.

A smirk plastered on her lips, "Just as I thought."

My cheeks burned at her comment. What does she mean? Does she think I'm stupid? Does she also think I'm not supposed to be here? I sunk on my chair.

"Actually, the head of accounting is here for another reason. Ito sana ang ikalawang parte ng meeting. I am going to disclose an important announcement..." Zach's rocksalt-rasp voice boomed and everyone in the room turned to me.

I turned to Zachary who was intently looking at me. There was no more humor plastered in his hazelnut eyes. His gaze darkened.

"I would like for the board to meet Thalia Cecilia Zamualda..." he said and licked his now-reddish lips.

"The new Vice President of Cognicio Fidel Corpuz V Philippines."

Una kong narinig ang singhapan at bulong-bulongan sa buong conference room bago ko narinig ang sariling singhap.

"What... what is the meaning of this?" My voice came out more scared than angry.

Mas lumakas ang bulong-bulongan.

"Zachary? How did this happen?" Tanong ng isa.

"Paano mo ba ito napag desisyunan, hijo?" A voice echoed.

I was devoid of any other emotion rather than shock and betrayal. Did he play me?

"This is i-impossible..." nanghihina kong sabi, "The contract I signed was for the position of Head of Accountancy..." wala sa isip kong dugtong.

"Miss Zamualda, the contract clearly states otherwise. You signed it without a thorough review. Cherry Ann can fax it to you and you will see your signature." He smirked.

"You... deceived me, Mr. Corpuz," I whispered.

Fuck.

Fuck.

I knew it. Alam ko na may binabalak siyang masama ngunit nakipagsapalaran parin ako. Thalia, you foolish woman.

"This isn't right, Zach." si Laia na ngayon ay namumutla na, "Your father and grandfather clearly stated that the person to hold this position must be the wife or husband of the President."

Zachary Corpuz smiled humourlessly as his dark eyes shifted to my face.

"Miss Zamualda will have to marry me, then."