Chapter Five

Chapter Five | Badian

Fifteen missed calls.
Twenty unread messages.

I couldn't even open my swollen eyes. I cried myself to sleep last night because of two events that shattered me. First, that Zachary is getting married and second, I'm pregnant.

Fuck.

Everything was supposed to run smoothly. I had my own job. I was a strong woman. I was independent. I always knew the decisions I make in life. But everything got messed up when Zachary came into my life.

Fate is a bitch. The cruelest and unfair thing and it interfered on my behalf.

There was an invisible war between my mind and my heart. My mind was shouting at my heart. Why are you crying now, Thalia? You wanted this! You dragged yourself into this situation!  while my heart was silently in pain- twice how it hurts. My doorbell rang. I knew it was him.

Zachary calling. . .

Zachary:
Thalia, please open the door.

I felt annoyed as I looked at his message. I had two hints, it's either he wants us to talk, or second, he wants a good fuck. I should pray he chose the latter because it wouldn't be more difficult.

"Thalia!" I could clearly hear his voice. He was shouting like crazy. He was desperate, I was too. Then I heard two voices, probably the security of this building. Minutes later, the shouting was gone.

Where do broken hearts go? I thought. Well, the thing is, even if we want it gone, it's gonna stay there. Inside us. Forever. We can't instruct a pained heart to just find its way out of our chest. We are bound to feel it.

I needed to escape from this cruel reality. And so, I texted my boss.

Me:
Boss, can I file another leave? I need to rest

Mr. Lee:

Okay, then. Ms. Zamualda, I'll file you another one-week leave. Just make sure that you'll finish all the paperwork the week after next.

I needed to go somewhere. To relax. I ate my breakfast, dapat ay hindi ako magpabaya sa health ko kasi nakakasama yun kay baby. I touched my tummy as I was surfing the net for places here in Cebu.

I've been alone for so long, at last, I'm gonna have my very own companion.

In the end, I decided to visit Dad's hometown. It's been a while. Later that afternoon, I visited my Dad's grave. Dito niya ginustong magpahinga. I cried as I told him about my baby. I was like a crazy girl talking to herself. I missed him so much. I missed the feeling of having someone whom you could hold on to when you are in pain.

I texted Stephan about my baby and my sudden departure, but I didn't inform Shai. It's just gonna get worse if I tell her. That night, Stephan dropped by with the chocolate cake I requested. And then, he left.

I retired to bed early since I needed to wake up early tomorrow. My bags were ready, I used some of the money I saved for the past couple of years. If I'll find it peaceful there, then I think I'd go with my plan B, to settle in Badian.

It was around five-thirty in the morning when I found my way to the Bus Terminal. Then I found the bus to Alegria, I directly took it. This is gonna be a long ride!

That Province of Badian was certainly a beauty! The Kawasan Falls and the Matutinao River were there. I couldn't hide the excitement.

It wasn't long when I arrived that I saw my cousin. We hugged and greeted each other with Kumusta naman ka? and Nagkagwapa man ka oi! (How are you? and You've become more beautiful) Then we hailed a cab. Badian wasn't exactly a developed city, but in some ways, it was, especially in its tourism. 

My relatives warmly welcomed me into their household. They were very hospitable. While having lunch under the huge mango tree beside their house, my Aunt told me stories about my Dad and how adventurous he was when he was a youngling.

They would wake up at four in the morning and steal mangoes from their neighbors. Then they would get fresh vegetables from their grandma's mini garden and cook ginataang utan and in the afternoon, they would walk from their home which wasn't that far to enjoy the cold water of Kawasan falls.

I smiled as my aunt reminisced about those good old memories she had when she was still young. After eating, I helped my cousins wash the dishes. My uncle even promised that he would take us to Kawasan Falls tomorrow.

When dinner time came, we ate inside since it was dark outside. After eating, my cousins and I went stargazing. I was amazed as I looked at the stars up above. It was indeed breathtaking. Then I heard my phone ring.

In a span of seconds, I came back to reality. My reality. It was Shai. And because I didn't want her to worry, I answered the call. Once again, it struck me. That everything else revolved around Shai.

"Hello?" I could hear her sweet voice.

 "Where the fuck are you, Thalia?" Sabi nito. 

"I'm just... relaxing. Somewhere" I said. 

"Where?" Tanong nito. Bumuntong hininga ako. 

"I can't tell you, Shai. Bakit ba?" I managed to say without any hint of sadness in my voice.

"Well, just wanna inform you that I'm, hell yeah, engaged!" Sabi nito at humalakhak. I could feel bitterness in my veins. 

"C-Congrats!" I said, trying to sound happy. She shrieked. 

"Kaya pala ang cold niya these past few days! He was planning to propose to me! At ang sweet pa niya, sabi niya he wants to have kids with me, damn!" Sabi nito and I felt a little pinch in my chest.

"Alright, I gotta go. Congrats again!" Sabi ko at pinatay na ang tawag.I blocked Zachary's number and shut my phone off. I think I'm gonna go with plan B.