Chapter 22 - Hope

time will tell 

I just want to be wanted 
I could use a little love sometimes
I just need to be needed 
Like to know I'm crossin' someone's mind
I just want to be someone that somebody needs
I just want to be more than a drop in the sea

- Wanted, OneRepublic

— 

I honestly didn't think or know that I would be this affected by death, but apparently I was very affected by it. Everyone's heads were down. Some people were crying, a couple of others weren't. I was part of the latter. I wasn't crying because I just knew that Mr. Redley didn't want me or perhaps anyone else to be sad about his passing, so I tried my best to be strong - or at least seem strong. Andrew was standing right next to me and his tears just didn't seem to stop dripping down his face ever since we arrived. 

There was a picture of Mr. Redley right by the darkblue coffin and I truly tried my best to keep it all together, but that picture had a certain effect on me. I couldn't stop looking at it - at him. The way he smiled and all the happiness he was radiating on that picture...I could feel it. It was hard to explain it, but it seemed as if he was still here...standing somewhere in this church and looking at all of us. That picture seemed so real and so alive. I suddenly wondered what he looked like under that coffin. I had seen him a few days ago, but I wondered how much he had changed within that short time span.

My thoughts were interrupted by the preacher who began to read out passages and without actually realizing it, my eyes got wet. After the preacher was done, we continued to listen to some speeches from a couple of people on the makeshift stage. Andrew's mother was also one of the many people who walked up there to deliver a speech as well. I turned my head sideways to look at her son on my right and shot a sad smile his way before I squeezed Andrew's shoulder tightly.

She sobbed and her voice was thick, "Mr. Redley was a...very humble and generous man. I think he has touched all of our lives with his attitude, innocent heart and positive mindset. He loved to reach out his hand for people in need. He radiated such a joyful spirit and managed to turn sadness into happiness so effortlessly. He-" she paused, clearing her throat after she wiped away the tears with her white tissue from under her swollen eyes. "He has been such a support system for me over the years ever since I moved to this town. If it weren't for him, I would have never met the love of my life." She looked down at her husband, whom she married six years after Andrew's father passed away. Mr Redley introduced them to each other and well...the rest is history. 

Due to the circumstances and her touching speech, a hot tear escaped from my eyes again. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Redley didn't just support me but my son as well. They helped him and shaped him to be the man he is today. I owe them so much, so this loss is very heavy and my heart is hurting so much right now." She placed her shaking hand on top of her heart and closed her eyes for a brief moment. "You'll always be in my heart and mind forever," she said a few feet away from the microphone but we were still able to hear her before she walked down the stairs and sat down next to her husband and son. 

"Beautifully said, Kimblery," I whispered over to her and she gave me the same sad smile I gave Andrew a few minutes ago. Instead of saying anything, she squeezed my hand and didn't let go of it afterwards, so I placed my other hand on top of it. This small gesture proved to me that Andrew and I were indeed more than just friends - we were brothers. His mother never separated the two of us, she was always so nice to me whenever I was over at their house and took care of me as if I was her own son as well. She really made me feel all the love she had for her son and that touched me.