Chapter 13 - A Foolish Game

time will tell

"There you are," A female voice called out from behind me as she moved closer towards my direction. Her heels were clicking against the concrete floor beneath us and I could hear her let out a groan once she approached me.

"Here I am," I sighed out loud while removing myself from my current position to turn around to face her. 

"What was that all about, Miles?" Although it was mid-August, the nights were already freezing cold and now that she wasn't wearing a jacket, she was shivering like crazy.

"Honestly Josephine? Just get lost. I'm sick of you. Sick of this. Sick of everything." I was still trying to calm myself down after everything that just happened inside this stupid auditorium. The truth was finally revealed, but under what prize? Even though I had won this foolish game of mine, I somehow still managed to be the loser of the night. Instead of actually winning anything, I had lost everything.

She looked at me with a blank facial expression as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Wait- me too? You didn't mean anything you said last night?"

I rolled my eyes at her stupidity while taking a step forward to look her straight into the eyes that once meant the world to me, but now I was just staring into some blue orbs with no meaning at all. "Could you really be that stupid? Of course I did not. You cheated on me with my former best friend. And even though you're here with me right now, your heart is still beating for him. I may be a fool, but not for you." 

"Miles"

"Spare me your lies. You're the worst thing that ever happened to me, Josephine. I despise you more than I despise myself and I don't even know whether that's possible. Even looking at you makes me vomit right here, right now. Disappear. Go!" Since the game was over, I didn't have to pretend to care about her any longer. I was surprised that she actually thought that I would give her a second chance after everything she put me through.

"You ididot!" I heard someone shout from behind me for the second time tonight, and as I was about to turn around to face that certain person, his fist connected with my jaw straight away. "Are you happy now? Did you reach your pathetic goal? Did you get what you want? Tell me!"  I had to take a minute to process that he just hit me. Andrew was a pacifist, he was against violence but still decided to hit me which only proved to me that he was deeply hurt and truly angry.

He was spitting fire. His chest was rising up and down in such a fast pace that I actually thought he was going to explode. This was the first time in almost four years that I had seen him like this. He was usually known for his calm persona, but apparently he had a darker side as well. I rubbed my jaw gently and noticed some blood on my fist as I did so. Although I myself was mad, angry - furious even - I didn't have the strength in me to fight anyone tonight. I was done with everything and that's why I decided not to hit back but remain on my spot on the ground instead.

"Rose was already facing so many tough obstacles in her life because of you and now you truly managed to break her! Why did you have to tell her all of this? Especially on a night like this? Do you even care about the fact that you ruined her teenage years?" Andrew continued to shout at me but I knew him all too well. His voice broke after he finished his last sentence and he let his body fall down onto the park bench next to us while covering his face with both of his shaky hands.

"Andrew, please calm down." Josephine rushed next to him but he jerked away immediately after she tried to touch his face. She was such a pathetic piece of humanity that I couldn't help but let out a loud scoff.