Chapter 8 - Let the games begin

time will tell

flashback

"Are you sure you want to join us?" Noel asked for the fifth time as he stared at me with concern in his eyes. "I mean your father would kill you if he found out about any of this I hope you're aware of that. I think you forgot about his threat last week." 

"I don't care." I shrugged grabbing the key in his hands to walk towards the car he was about to steal from the guy whose dog he used to dogsit over the summer. "Where is the other car?" I asked, turning around confused.

"Over there," he pointed towards an old garage and I nodded. "We'll meet at the main street and then we'll see who can drive faster."

I chuckled, shaking my head in amusement. "I think we both know the answer to that already."

"Don't be so cocky, Miles. I obviously am the better drive since I am a whole year older than you. I am way more experienced and  mature," he spat as he opened the door to the car he had already taken without anyones permission.

We had to drive for about ten minutes until we reached the main road downtown and I didn't have a good feeling about any of this because I had a feeling that the police somehow heard about this illegal car race since a lot of people were present. Besides, it was very noisy and crowded and I kept wondering why they would decide to use the main street for this instead of choosing some rural area.

My phone vibrated in my pockets and I picked it up straight ahead, "Yeah?" When I looked to my left, I spotted Noel grinning at me from his car and I returned his smile.

"We're next," he informed me and I put my thumb up to signalize that I got it. 

"You can still forfeit or else you'll be humilated." I could hear his laugh from the other line and joined him while tapping my nails on the steering wheel. Although Noel was an older friend of mine, we stopped hanging out as much as we used to due to some unknown reasons. But now I had to ignite this friendship again in order for me to get closer to his sister Rose.

"I'll humiliate you," he remarked and this time I could hear the loud noise he was releasing from his car because he was stepping on the gas continuously as he was getting ready for the race and I did the same.

"Alright bye-"

I was cut off by sirens that kept coming closer and closer and when I turned the engine off to get out of the car to update myself about the situation, I noticed that everyone was either running or driving away. "Shit," I cursed under my breath while inhaling a long breath in after I ended the phone call. Before I had the chance to get back inside the stolen car, someone grabbed my upper arm and dragged me away from it within an instant.

From the corner of my right eye, I could see that another guy got ahold of Noel as well. "Do you own these cars?" the rather strong man asked.

"Yes," I mumbled under my breath.

"Don't lie to me kid." He let go of me to stare straight into my eyes and I had to gulp. 

"No," I answered truthfully this time.

"You're in a lot of trouble."

"Who are you?" I asked, adjusting my shirt.

A small smile curved his lips after he grabbed his wallet to show me what's inside and I scoffed out loud once I saw his ID card; he was a cop.