Chapter 15 - An Unexpected Arrival

time will tell

Sadly, it was time for me to fly back to Pennsylvania since my winter break was over and classes were about to start again. I had the most wonderful time with my family and was extremely happy that I finally managed to apologize for all the wrong that I had done to them. But I was even happier about the fact that I managed to build a good relationship to my mother and to have an even stronger bond with my father now. Those two meant the whole entire world to me and I was relieved to have them back in my life because I realized that I needed them the most.

Once I payed the taxi driver and ran all across the campus to reach my dorm, I was met with a very anxious Baldwin walking from the window to the wall in a fast pace. I guess he didn't even notice my presence in the room, so I pulled my eyebrows together in confusion. "Did you not miss me?" I asked, dropping my bags to the floor while opening my arms for him to hug me. I felt better — way better than I did when I left to visit my family, way better than two weeks ago and I was damn proud of myself.

He looked at me in horror while fiddling with his thumbs. It took him a couple of seconds before he walked over to hug me and I wondered why he was behaving like this. "Uh- uh hello Miles. I- uhm I'll use the restroom."

I let him walk past me while turning around to follow his fragile body disappear in the bathroom. After five minutes, I knocked on the door. "Are you alright, mate?"

He didn't respond for another minute. "I did something bad."

I wasn't sure whether I just heard him correctly, so I put my ear closer to the door that separated us in order to listen to him carefully. "What?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at the pot that was placed right next to me.

"I said I did something bad. You'll hate me for it," he said and I could literally hear the fear in his voice, which made me nauseous. Baldwin was a smart guy, I honestly couldn't understand any of his words. "I...I'm sorry Miles."

"Baldwin," I sighed, balling my fists in order to stay calm and not panic because I was damn scared. "Can you please open the door and talk to me face-to-face? I'm begging you. Nothing you say makes any sense to me right now."

"I can't!" He shouted in fear. "You'll kill me, I know you will."

I placed both of my hands onto the grey-silverish metal door and let out a loud breath. "I won't hurt you. Open the door and come out of there. Please Baldwin, don't be afraid." Somehow, my throat felt very dry and I had a nasty feeling in my stomach. I had an idea about what he might have done, but as for now I just prayed to dear God that he did not do what I currently think he did.

"Promise you won't hurt me, Miles? I am really scared." I could barely hear the last part because he was whispering, which caused me to close my eyes to continue to stay calm. Whatever he did, I wouldn't even dare to harm him in any way and I felt kind of offended that he thought that I'd hurt him.

"I promise," I finally said while letting out another breath I didn't know I was holding. My heart was beating so fast that I had problems to breathe properly. It kept hitting my rib cage until it eventually began to hurt.

The sound of the key turning inside the lock caused me to focus on Baldwin again. He hesitated a bit before he opened the door slowly. "Don't punch me, don't punch me, don't—"

He was shielding his eyes with his arms as he stood there with a quivering body, which caused me to shake my head at him. "I told you that I won't hurt you, stop it."

"Miles, I did some—"

"Something bad, I know. You've told me already. Be more precise, what did you do, Baldwin? I am curious to know and if you don't tell me right now, I will freak out. What did you do?" I repeated. My hands were shaking and I couldn't make it stop. I couldn't even describe this feeling of anxiety right now because a million different thoughts were racing through my mind and I was about to lose it.