Chapter 18 - And Another Fight

time will tell

Hits when I'm asleep right through
I'm cold when I wake cause I won't feel you
When I can't breathe I know it's you
Got a lump in my throat just thinking of you

I spent another couple of hours at the French Creek Park before I decided to drive back to my dorm. I didn't wear a jacket and after a while it just got way too cold sitting by the sea and I was in desperate need of warmth. I was hoping that Baldwin might already be asleep, but it was only half past eight and I knew that he would be waiting for me to return before he could go to sleep peacefully.

He was probably feeling guilty about agreeing to meet Austin behind my back — in my name. I didn't know whether I should make him feel extra bad about it because he stabbed me behind my back when he reached out to him and tried to fix things he couldn't fix at all. I mean I was aware of the fact that he just wanted to help me, but this was definitely not the type of help I needed or perhaps even wanted.

"Miles!" He nearly screamed when I unlocked the door, which caused me to roll my eyes. "There you are! Where have you been so long!? How has it been!? Was he nice?! Was he—"

"Baldwin," I cut him off straight away. "Drop it. I seriously don't want to talk about it." I walked over to my drawer and grabbed a sweater and some thick socks before I headed towards the bathroom to change. I mean there was nothing to talk about, was there? He came all the way here to tell me to stay away from Rose, which basically meant that he was scared. 

He walked past me to block the entrance to the bathroom. "You're disappointed, I know and I am so beyond sorry Miles. I just... I never—"

"I said drop it, please. I want to change and fly home." I actually had to show up to classes this week, but I truly didn't feel like I could focus on any of that anyway. I wanted to see my father. I wanted to hug him and cry my heart out because I was hurt and in pain once again. My father was the only one who managed to make me feel like life was worth living and I was slowly losing hope and faith yet again, so I had to see him. My mind wasn't at its rightful place and he was the only person who could fix it.

"What?" Baldwin whispered, looking at me confused. "You are returning to Minnesota? Now?"

I nodded, trying to push him away but he was too stubborn and didn't move a slight bit. "Baldwin..."

"Miles, I want you to listen to me. I never had a friend. You are the first and only person who actually talks to me like I am worth something. You are the only person who volunteerely wants to look at me and listen to whatever I have to say — at least sometimes." He smiled shyly. "I don't know what true friendship actually is. This is the first time I'm calling someone my friend, although I seriously don't know whether I am allowed to even call you that.  You tolerate me. You accept me for who I am. You don't judge me for the way I look or the way I talk and I'm really trying my best to give you back what you give me: happiness." I could honestly hear and feel his hurt when he said those words to me. Baldwin and I weren't as different as he always insisted. We were pretty similar. "This sound sappy and odd, but I genuinely want to help you. I want to help you reconnect with Rose. Now that I never tasted what friendship feels like, I am doing everything wrong, but I'm learning. If I could change the way I acted, I would definitely delete those messages and just... let time handle this. As you once said: only time will tell what the future holds."