ch20: O, Glorious Night!

Start from the beginning

"Um, why, exactly?"

He just grinned wider. "Because tonight, we're gonna conquer the stage. We're gonna be the Kings of Hearts!"

He was near shouting with the dramatics and his excited he was. I rolled my eyes. "Why didn't you just make that the band name?"

He shrugged. "I dunno. Modern Vandals sounded cooler."

I snickered. "Heheh. Køhler." Alfred stared at me, confused. "Inside joke. You wouldn't get it."

He shrugged, and we stopped by the vending machines to grab my tea. I checked the clock overhead, and saw that class didn't start for another seven minutes.

"Hey, Alfie, are you going to the dance with anyone?" I asked, curious.

He nodded. "Yep. You."

I choked and nearly spit my drink out, sending me into a coughing fit. "I'm sorry, you're what now?"

He simply shrugged again. "What? I mean, as your best friend, I kinda get the 'dibs' privileges, dontcha' think? Besides, going to parties with friends are always better anyway."

"I mean, you're not wrong, but..." I shook my head, trying to wrap my head around this.

"Wait, are you already going with someone?" He asked.

"No, no, I don't have a date. It's just that.... Well, aren't you interested in anyone else?"

He thought for a moment. "No, not really. I mean, not that the girls at Sekai aren't totally cute and smart and amazing, because they are, but I just don't think I've found someone I've really clicked with, y'know?"

I nodded. "I couldn't agree more. I mean, like, I feel the exact same way. There are so many amazing people here, but it's like... I don't even know."

"Are you gay?" He suddenly blurted out.

I was taken aback by his straightforward question, and tripped over my words. "What? No. I mean, um, I don't know? I totally support it, of course. Maybe? I mean, I'm kind of young, and inexperienced, and I haven't really thought much about my sexuality spectrum that much...?" My mind flashed to images of Ludwig with his hair down, Emil's adorable awkward disposition, how good Matthias looked in yellow, beautiful Gilbert up onstage, and just how quickly I noticed how attractive all the guys at school are. "Well, I know I like boys. That's for sure."

He nodded. "That's fair enough. I feel the same way."

I smiled in relief, but then I realized the double meaning of his words. "Wait, do you mean...?"

He chuckled sheepishly. "I really haven't told anyone yet, but..."

"Wait, Alfred, are you gay?"

His eyes widened. "What? No, no, of course not. I definitely know I like girls. But, I mean, sometimes I just look at a cute guy and... I don't know. I haven't really figured out what it is. It could just be a phase, and I'm kind of undecided right now, but.... I guess I just sometimes get the feeling I'm not completely straight, you know?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Understandable." I comfortingly put a hand on his arm. "Thank you for opening up to me, though."

"Of course. You're the first person I'd even think about telling. The guys would be cool and all, but still."

I smiled, pulling him into a hug. "Yeah, I get it. It's different. And yes, of course, I'd be more than happy to go to the dance with you."

He hugged me back. "Funny, you think you had a choice," he mumbled playfully.