chapter 14- pt. 2

Arriving home later that evening after the kids tutoring program, I found I'd been so preoccupied with helping the students with their assignments, that I hadn't even had the chance to think about missing Dane. That was until I hit my room. Where was he? Was he safe? Was he thinking of me? Peering over to his house, I couldn't keep my mind off him. I ached to be near his things, even if the lingering scent of him was the closest I could get.

Taking a long hot shower to wash the day away, I reemerged for dinner with my parents, who were actually both home for a change.

"Dakota dear, just in time. Pot roast is finished, have a seat." My mother sets a pot holder down on the table in preparation for the delicious smelling meal in the kitchen to rest.

I sit down in the chair across from my dad who gives me a quick wink and a warm smile.

"Hey baby. How's my girl?" he asks sweetly.

"I'm alright," I shrug.

"Studying getting the best of ya?"

"No, it's going fine. I'm still ahead of the curriculum."

"That's what I like to hear. You're going to need to continue that drive if you want to get into medical school," he states matter-of-factly, rolling up the sleeves of his button-up shirt.I always respected how well my father dressed. He was handsome and always well kept, but not in the way that reeked of arrogance or entitlement. His kind eyes and that warm smile assisted in presenting a humbled man who truly cared about his patients.

Pausing before I speak, I take a deep breath.

"I don't know if that's what I want to do anymore, Dad," I state with apprehension, getting back to the topic at hand.

"Dakota...we've talked about this," My mother warns from the confines of the kitchen.

"And what?! I can't decide what I want to do with my own life anymore? I never officially decided to go to medical school, you both—" I pause while pointing between the two of them. "You put this on me."

"But what about all of your volunteer work at the hospital?" My mother asks, exaggeratedly.

"...and my volunteer work at the food pantry, animal shelter, and middle schools...so what!?" I sigh, exacerbated. "I want to help people, on a different level, like really help people. Not like the money grabbing medical industry, but a true, deeper level." I pause, taking a deep breath after my explosive, pent-up rant. My dad stares me down from the corner of my eye, studying me.

"I'm sorry," I say softly. "I just don't know if it's for me anymore."

My mother huffs, throwing her hands up in disappointment as she disappears into the kitchen again, leaving my dad and I. Sighing, I wait to hear it from him.

"Dakota?" he asks gently as I look up to him, awaiting the lecture. "It's okay if that's not what you want anymore."

A look of confusion hits my face. This is definitely not how I thought this was going to go.

"Hell, if I'd actually followed my heart and done what I wanted in life versus what was expected of me, maybe I'd be able to spend dinners with my family, or see them in the light of day." He scoffs at himself.

"But you love what you do, Dad."

"I do, don't get me wrong. But, there are more important things in life than appearances."

Tears bite at the corners of my eyes.

"Happiness...fulfillment, family...love. Do what it is that makes you happy. Never sacrifice yourself for less than you deserve," he says, looking into me directly.