chapter 8

With his mouth upon mine, we fall into a new realm of connection. We sit up, continuing our kiss when I make my way into his lap. His hands slowly snake their way up my thighs and around to clasp behind my back. He pulls me into him as I run my hands through his hair, grasping at the back of it, deepening our kiss.

"Dammit Kodi," he silently moans between kisses, making it clear he lost the fight against himself.

Our tongues dance together in beautiful synchrony under our infinite. I pull back, breathless, trying to decipher how we got here. In a fog of passion, I see him studying my face, glancing at my lips, then deeply into my eyes with a need, a longing for a connection deeper than words. Wrinkling his brow, he thinks for a second, contemplating an idea.

"Come with me," he demands, pulling my hand, helping me up.

We get to his door and once we walk through, he immediately locks it behind me. Pushing me up against the door, his soft, yet eager lips find mine again. I part my mouth, my tongue following his lead as if we've done this dance before. I reach for the hem of his shirt under his sweatshirt, lifting it up to touch his warm skin. He rips it off over his head, the shirt he pulls off in one swoop, messing his hair in the sexiest way. He rushes back to me, unzipping my oversized hoodie leaving only my pajama shorts and camisole underneath, straps falling down my shoulder.

Picking me up, my legs instinctively wrap around his waist as he leads us to the bed. He sits on the edge as I straddle his lap, leaving a trail of soft kisses from my neck to my collar bone. I grab his hair and give a slight tug in approval of his attack on me, eliciting a soft moan from his mouth. Electricity is pumping through my entire being at the slightest touch of his hands on my skin.

He meets me back at my swollen lips and licks the bottom one softly before finding my tongue again. He tastes like sweet mint and I don't know that I'll ever get enough of it. He rakes his fingers deep into my thighs, with a carnal desire, finding their way to my back again and pulling me into him.

"Dane," I whisper as his hand reaches up to the back of my neck then into my hair, pulling it slightly back to access the sensitive part below my ear. He's unable to control himself, like a wild animal demanding a hunt. His hands scour my body, finding just what it is that he needs.

"Kodi, you are the definition of perfection," he breathes against my skin, his words becoming my undoing.

Gently rolling me so my back is on the bed, he stands and removes his jeans. Laying back, I stare in awe at the sight of his tall, muscular physique. The moonlight highlighting the definition in his arms and chest. It's as if he's moving in slow motion at the rate I'm absorbing the sight of him. He finds his way back and balances on top of me, continuing our passionate kiss, while softly pressing into me. He groans into my mouth as I feel him, all of him, against me. The feeling is foreign, yet so familiar.

He reluctantly pulls away from my kiss, placing both of his large hands on the sides of my face, rubbing his thumbs softly on my cheeks as he stares into me, his face falling serious.

"Kodi, I need you to know something—"

"Shit!" I jerk, noticing the light pouring out of my bedroom window into the grass of my backyard from Dane's flat.

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God....I have to go!" I scream out in a panic, scurrying out from underneath his hold. Straightening out my top and grabbing my sweatshirt, I fix my mess of hair.

He looks confused and shocked then trails my eyes, looking out the window and noticing immediately why I'm in a panic.

"It's okay, Kodi. Just tell them you went for a walk to get some air. Everything will be alright," he says calmly as he follows me to the door.

As if I suddenly snap into reality, my heart set aside and my mind taking over, I send myself into pure irresponsible guilt mode.

"What am I doing here!? What are we doing!? This can't be happening! What's wrong with me!?"

Looking shocked and suddenly hurt by my comment, he responds, "We were only doing what was natural."

"Oh, no. No, I need to go." I turn from him immediately, running out of the door and down the stairs as fast as humanly possible.

I've never been caught sneaking out by my parents before, I'm currently in panic mode. I turn the corner and hit the sidewalk in front of our houses, just as my mother is walking out of the front door.

"Dakota Silver! Where have you been!?" she shrieks into the night.

Remembering what Dane said, I replied as quickly and calmly as possible, "Sorry mom, I was feeling a little ill. Thought a little walk and some fresh air would help."

"Oh Dakota, look at you, you're all red! You must be running a fever." Her hand comes up to my forehead as studies me. "Quickly, now, get inside."

If she only knew the truth behind my sudden flush.

She ushers me inside and escorts me back to my bed. I am tucked in like a child while my mother reminds me that I need rest to push past my illness in order to look presentable for the homecoming assembly tomorrow. I couldn't make it up if I tried.

"Of course, you'll need to be looking your best if you want to make court," she states, as if that's what I actually care about.

I could have a hammer sticking out of the side of my head and she'd find a way to style my hair around it, only to ensure I had the opportunity to be presentable.

After she leaves, and the excitement of the moment calms back down again, I stare at the ceiling, reminiscing about the kiss with Dane. Touching my lips, I remember the softness of his on mine, the need, the electricity. How did that escalate so quickly and why am I so disappointed it ended so abruptly?

I need to text him.

Feeling bad for the way I suddenly freaked out on him, I immediately grabbed for my phone. The look in his eyes when I started talking about how unsure I was about all of it, how unsure I was about us, it was heartbreaking. His face dropped as if his father left him all over again. He was hurt. I hurt him.

"Shit," I say to myself.

What did I do? Truth was, I knew exactly what I was doing in his flat. I felt something I've forced myself to try and feel for Colt but never could. I'd only heard of hooking up, hell, I'd never done more than kiss a guy freshman year, yet being intimate with Dane was beyond natural. My body acted on instinct, and the way it responded to his? Crazy. I'd never expected any of this.

Remembering the animalistic look in his deep, dark eyes had me feeling flushed all over again. But it was so much more than just some wild, teenage make-out session. We had a deep rooted friendship that tipped into an even deeper fusion. We crossed into a new realm and the feeling made the hairs on my body stand up.

Getting distracted by the newness and excitement of all of this, I recall the need to text him.

Kodi: Hey, sorry to leave the way I did, I told my mom what you said, pretty sure she bought it...are we still good?

Hoping to get some confirmation that everything that had happened didn't backtrack our existing bond, I found myself waiting for a response that never came.