Paralyzed-Kirstie pt. 1

Kirstin smiled, giggling at Kate's joke. Kate had finally earned her driver's permit a few months earlier, taking the younger girl out for a small drive. She loved Kirstin like a sister, after all, and the two had always promised to do this when the time came.

This was the plan all along, as soon as they graduated, the two would rent an apartment together and start their real lives. Kirstin just couldn't wait to get out of her little Texas town and move to LA, where dreams came true, with her best friend. Kate would find the guy of her dreams, while the younger girl wasn't really interested in getting married. She might one day, but it didn't seem likely. The last boyfriend she had dumped her for the head cheerleader.

Kirstie wasn't a cheerleader at all, but she loved softball. It was how she was planning to get into a college in California, through the sport she loved.

"I'm serious! I think you'd really like him." Kate exclaimed to her friend, chuckling at the mortified expression the fifteen year old wore.

"Kate, I'm just not looking for that kind of stuff. I mean, in a couple years I'm gonna be on a college softball team, living my dream." She pointed out, "I just don't think any guys are into girls like me."

The older girl sighed, averting her gaze from the road for a split second to respond to her friend. The second her mouth opened, no words could be pushed out before Kirstin let out a scream.

It all happened so quickly, the small, beat-up car colliding into the semi-truck.

The smaller girl had her eyes squeezed shut, arms held out to brace herself for the airbag.She was dizzy, feeling a sharp, stinging pain through her right leg.

"K-kate?" She managed to push out the words through gritted teeth. Her immediate concern was on her friend for some reason, it was the only thing she could focus on in her swirling head. "Are y-you 'right?"

Kate managed to flex her hand enough to grab the younger girl's in her own. She didn't respond, but thought the movement gave off the right idea. After scanning her friend, she froze. A large pipe was lodged in her leg, the other twisted in a way it never was supposed to. She didn't say anything, too scared of her friends reaction. Pointing it out could make Kirstie realise the pain she was in, and the sight could send her into shock, which would be really dangerous. She was so scared. What had happened to her friend? What did she do?

Two boys were across the street, Kate recognized them from their highschool. The car had swerved into the woods,and they were far enough to not have realized what just went on. Kate sighed, slowly moving to unbuckle her seat belt. She had to get Kirstie help, it didn't matter if she got hurt. She didn't care if she was supposed to stay in the car for her safety; she felt fine physically, guilty mentally.

"Kate?" Kirstie began to panic when her friend slipped away from her.

"Don't worry Kit-kat. I'm gonna go get help. Stay still, okay? You're gonna be okay." She promised the younger girl, forcing her aching body to move out of the car. Her legs were shaky, and she almost tumbled over almost every other step, but she managed to make it to the two.

"Call for help, p-please." She begged them, "my friend needs an ambulance!" The two were frozen in shock for a moment by her state, but the tall blonde managed to pull out his phone.

"Okay, okay, I'm gonna call 911. Where is she?" He asked calmly, but his voice was quivering in fear, unsure if he was responding correctly. His parents never told him what to do when a woman said she needed you to call an ambulance. The woman pointed towards the woods. As soon as he squinted, he was able to make out the car.