Entry Fifteen: Love will save you

I was awoken by a much more cheerful Frank, I hadn't realized how much I missed his smile until it greeted me full force when I finally cracked my bleary eyes open.

I had been so exhausted lately, I assumed it was because I was still healing, but it seemed to be intensifying each day instead of lessening. I pushed it to the back of my mind though, we had bigger problems than my sleeping habits to worry about right now.

"Hey Gee, sorry to wake you, but we really need to move locations today. We should have gone last night, but well..." Frank trailed off at the end, and I knew he was embarrassed about his breakdown, even though he had no reason to be. He had seen me at my worst, and for once, I had been the one to catch him when he fell instead of the other way around.

"Do we have to go now...?" I grumbled like a petulant teenager. I knew he was right, and that it was dangerous to stay here now that one angel had come close to finding us, but this place had already been starting to feel like home, and I was reluctant to leave.

"Sorry baby, we do. I am going to go make breakfast okay?" I mumbled a reply before heaving my tired limbs out of bed.

After throwing on some clothes, I headed down to Mikey's room to tell him to get up for breakfast. When I didn't get a response, I pushed open the door, letting light flood the room to reveal my little brother still in bed, snoring softly. I was surprised to find him still asleep, back when I had been alive, he had always been the one up at the crack of dawn, trying to coax me out of bed with the promise of coffee.

"Mikes?" I shook his shoulder gently when he still didn't answer.

"Hey bro - get up, Frank is making food."

"Not hungry..." is what I think he said, but it was hard to tell since his face was still buried in his pillow.

"Oh come on. At least come get some coffee or something."

"No, I don't feel well..." he complained.

"Well okay...we will be in the kitchen if you want to join us. We are leaving today too, so pack up your stuff soon."

"Mkay."

I was beginning to get worried about my brother, he wasn't acting right, and I didn't want him falling into the depression I had suffered from when I first became a demon. I hadn't expected him to be super cheerful or anything, but I thought that once we ran away, he would start to see that not everything about being a demon was so terrible.

I had done my best to shelter him from the harsh realities of our situation, but he had still been through a lot, and I didn't know how to help him. Frank had been the lifeline that had pulled me back to shore, but I wasn't sure how to be one for Mikey when he wouldn't let me in.

My stomach rumbled when I entered the kitchen and saw Frank whipping up some delectable looking omelets. I had missed the taste of real food, and I still hadn't stopped looking forward to it. Now that we were on Earth, I actually felt things like hunger again, which made me feel one step closer to a normal human being, and not the monster I knew I was.

"I hope you're hungry. I come from an Italian family, and I still have a habit of making way too much food," Frank grinned at me happily. It was such a relief to see him in a jovial mood. I knew deep down, he was still hurting, but the fact that he was putting on a brave face let me know he would be okay eventually.

"Starving actually." I gaped at the enormous amount of eggs Frank placed before me, he wasn't kidding when he said he made large portions, but it looked delicious, so I dug in eagerly.