I don't want to forget

Gerard's POV:

"Get up filth, Lucifer's coming."

I could hear the voice demanding something of me, and I could feel the booted foot kick my ribs, but I was incapable of responding. My entire body was numb, and I knew any movement would reawaken the fiery agony I had worked so hard to extinguish. Getting to my feet was out of the question, I wasn't even certain I still had feet.

"Did you hear me? I said fucking stand up!" Whoever had chosen to bother me continued with their pointless yelling, but I didn't even open my eyes. Why should I - they were just going to torture me again either way.

"Leave him be..." a familiar voice commanded, and I didn't need my sight to know that Lucifer had arrived. I bit my lip hard to stifle the whimper that was attempting to make its way out of my throat. I hadn't had a visit from him in quite some time, and I had almost dared to hope that he had grown bored with me.

"He wouldn't move sir," the other demon informed Lucifer, even though it was quite obvious that I hadn't budged an inch from the last time he had been down here.

"It doesn't matter, I just wanted to make sure he was still alive," Lucifer muttered quietly, and I cracked my eyelids open slightly so I could catch any sudden movements he decided to make. There was no way the king of Hell came down here just to check on my health, and I was trying to prepare myself for whatever devious thing he had planned for me.

"He's pathetic." I heard the sound of someone spitting, and I didn't even flinch when it landed right next to my face.

"I'd like to see how long you last down here," Lucifer retorted, his tone tinged with mild irritation.

"Longer than this piece of shit, that's for sure," the demon replied haughtily, and I caught sight of Lucifer's smirk out of the corner of my eye.

"Oh you think so? Should I test out that theory?"

"Uh - no sir. I meant no disrespect." The demon cringed as he bowed, and if I hadn't been in such a fucked up state, I would have laughed at his cowardice, but honestly, I would be doing the same thing if I were in his position - Lucifer just had that effect on people.

"Good. For your information, Gerard has retained himself for much longer than most demons that are placed in the Wastelands. The average amount of time before insanity kicks in is twenty four hours. He made it five days before he was reduced to this state." Lucifer sounded almost proud, and it confused me, I thought the whole point of trapping me down here was to ruin my body and my mind.

"Well he is a mess now."

"Oh - I don't know about that. I think a small spark is still buried in him somewhere. Isn't that right Gerard?" Lucifer leaned down and grabbed my chin in his hands. Gerard...that was my name wasn't it? He was actually praising me for defying him?

Not knowing what to say, I simply stared back into his dead eyes until he released me harshly. My head hit the ground with a dull thump, and I groaned softly despite myself.

"Release him - he will be coming with us tomorrow." Lucifer snapped his fingers, and I flinched at his unexpected orders.

"Coming with us...to the battlefield, but why? He can't fight, and we would have to waste good soldiers guarding him." The demon questioned even as he began tracing his hand over my frozen limbs, somehow freeing me from whatever spell had kept me trapped down here. Even though I was no longer immobilized, I didn't possess the strength to move, so I stayed slumped on the floor.

"I know the rebel angels are going to try something idiotic at Black Rock Desert tomorrow, and even if I don't know what, I will not walk in there empty handed. They all care for this demon, so I will keep him with me as insurance."