Thyme raised his hand and his fingers tightened like a claw.

"First, you need to focus on. Then, look at the object you want to move. Then, you must gather all your energy and point it to the desired object."

And as he said that, Thyme moved his hand like in a dance, and the bottle slightly rose above the log, floating in the air. Then, by the same movements, the bottle was again placed on the log.Ferry did the same. He concentrated so much, he felt his head aching. But the bottle refused to move.

"Try to direct the heatwave from your body through your hand and turn it into energy that moves the flask," he could hear Thyme's slightly irritated voice.

Ferry focused again. He felt the heat wave embracing him, but not because of the magic, but rather because he held his breath. But in vain. The bottle did not flinch.

"Maybe if you didn't think about her so much, you could focus."

Ferry gave up. "Why are you against May?" he asked, looking at his guardian straight in the eye.

"I'm not against her," Thyme said calmly. "But you are careless when she's around. This can be dangerous for you. Imagine what would have happened if the gloves were in foreign hands. If anyone came close without you realizing..."

"It's not her fault," Ferry raised his voice. Why does everyone have something against her?"

"Nobody has anything against her. Rosemary knows her best and has only words of praise for her. But you should have your mind on something else. It may not be the most important thing for you right now," said Thyme softly. "There are many other things, more important."

"But why?" Ferry argued.

"Because your destiny is different. It cannot be tied to hers. Nor hers to yours. She's a mortal."

"So what? It shouldn't be that complicated."

Thyme seemed to lose his patience, "You don't understand, do you?" he said, clenching his fists. "What are you expecting? Make her your wife? Live here? Will she wait for you with a hot meal when you return from the factory?"

"No, I— actually, I haven't thought about it..." Ferry muttered.

"Or maybe you want to take her to Akna," continued Thyme just as stirred up. "Make her your Queen? What do you expect, Garrett?"

Ferry felt his whole body tense. A strange warmth in his chest spread all over his body.

"Nothing!" he shouted and turned to the bottle on the log. With a short move, he raised his hand and, without knowing how, the bottle broke into dozens of pieces under their astonished eyes.Ferry pulled out a shout of joy. He looked at Thyme, and couldn't tell whether there was pride or concern in his eyes.

*

Ferry wasn't waiting for Halloween like he used to. He had promised Ben he would accompany him for trick-or-treat. Ben was going as an older brother, joining the youngest of his sisters, Bianca.