Stanley Uris

JUDGEMENT DAY

"...we've seen the last of our days, people. It appears to be the end. If my kids are seeing this at home, daddy loves y—" The screening of the news was replaced by a static. Stanley calmly looks over to you, a wicked smile among his lips.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, what could you possibly be smiling about?" You roll your eyes, being in the strangely similar calm-manner as your husband.

"You know I've been prepared for this, sweetheart. You and I, we live." He stands from the couch and begins picking out random objects to take along with him. It was true, Stanley had a bunker installed beneath your home. You truly doubted it would keep either of you alive during a nuclear war, because it was an "under-the-table" operation.

"For once your skepticism pays off, that's if we live." You sneer, standing up and doing the same as Stan, grabbing meaningless junk to bring along with you. He already had plenty of food and water supply, and basic-needs stocked beneath you. All that was left to fill the space was stuff that would occupy you until your days ran out underground. "That whole thing could have been a scam."

"Ok boomer."

Stanley finished grabbing whatever he could carry and led you to the basement, there the two of you had to open a metal hatch that led to the bunker. He allowed you to climb down the ladder first and was right behind you, closing the hatch and securing it tightly before meeting you at the bottom level. He drops his junk to the floor and looks about the bunker proudly.

"How about the next seventy years with the man you love the most, huh?" He urged you to be just as proud as he was. You weren't convinced until the lights began to flicker and the ground shook. Stanley wraps his arms around you, holding you until the blast was settled. "Everything just died."

"But us. This— this thing actually worked!" You were shocked to say the least, laughing graciously and expressing your fondness of your husband by embracing him tighter. "You know, that seventy years doesn't sound too bad."

"Glad to hear it, because there is absolutely no way we're getting out."