SS!Link x Reader - Growing Wings

Start from the beginning

Of course, your blonde friend had other plans for you. His loftwing circled around the Goddess Statue before landing on the stone platform. "Um, what are we doing up here?" You asked warily.

"I think we should talk about what's going on." Link said quietly, sitting on the edge. He patted the stone beside him, gesturing for you to sit by him.

"Oh, we don't need to do that. You're sure as hell not my therapist, but thanks for trying." You replied with a hint of amusement. But one glance at Link's crystal eyes said it all, though. 'Sit down', they said. 'Let me be your friend.'

With a huff, you dragged your feet over to where he sat before plopping beside him. You prayed to the Goddess he'd just fuck off and stay quiet. Maybe you could still enjoy the sunrise if he didn't continue.

"There's nothing to talk about-."

"Nothing to talk about?!" Link yelled suddenly. His anger flared up, but you knew it was just because he was worried about you. "What you did was CRAZY! You could've DIED!"

Biting your lip, you glanced down at your dangling feet. "I know..." You muttered, rubbing away the first tear. "But what's the point of being one of the best in our class if I can't ever actually become a knight? I don't have a loftwing, so I'll never actually graduate... Whatever, it's fine. I don't care." You turned to Link and smiled, but it never reached your eyes.

Link stared at you with concerned, crystal blue eyes. "(Name), you don't have to pretend everything's okay. You can be mad, yknow? Let loose, tell me what's on your mind."

What's on your mind? No, you couldn't do that. Despite him saying it was okay to get angry about your problems and vent to him, you held back. Link didn't deserve to take the brunt of your rage. So, you only looked straight ahead, off into the distance.

"I don't want to be mad about it anymore." You lied. "I've been pissed ever since I was 13. It's just that I'm sick of being the only person my age without a loftwing! It's so damn frustrating! I can't go anywhere without hitching a ride with someone, and I am SO-!" A soft hand draped itself over one of your own, and you finally noticed you were clenching your fists until your knuckles turned white. Despite your best efforts, you couldn't stop the anger from leaking through. "... so done with it..." You finished quietly.

Without warning, the dirty blonde let go of your hand only to wrap his arm around your shoulders. He pulled you into his chest, and the coolness of his skin put out the flames of your fury.

"You have every right to be upset."

And with those words, Link had opened the floodgates. He held you close while you cried tears of agony into his shirt. The blonde said nothing as you cried, only running his fingers through your hair occasionally. His comforting tactics began to soothe you, and your tears slowly began to dry. Once your sobs were quiet, the two of you watched the sunrise above the horizon.

~~

The day went by as normal as it could be. Link stuck to you like glue the entire school day, though. It was like he thought you'd jump off the nearest deck as soon as he looked away. Groose gave Link shit like usual, and he gave YOU a casual thumbs-up like Link wasn't even there... Like usual. Zelda picked up on your less-than-enthusiastic mood and took it upon herself to make you smile at every turn. And it worked; by the end of the day, you were back to your giggly self.

Once the bell rang and classes were over, you and Link decided to end your day in the same place you started it.

Together, you walked around the Goddess Statue, calmly passing under its long shadow. "So, if I leave you by yourself..." Link started cautiously. "Are you gonna almost die again?"