CHAPTER FORTY

A/N: Hey everyone. Sorry for the wait. But in return I've given you all a super long chapter. :)

CHAPTER FORTY

Boruto held her so tightly around her ribs it almost hurt, but she didn't care. She held him back. When she finally pulled away, her heart twisted at the sight of those incredible blue eyes boring into her, brewing with emotion. She feathered her fingers over his lips, over the prickly hair along his jaw. My love...

He held her for a moment at arm's length, examining her, and his fingers traced the outline of the bruise on her cheek where Ataru hit her.

"Oh, baby," he groaned, his voice filled with anguish, his eyes dark with fury.

"I'm okay." She pulled his head down to her and kissed his lips. "God, I've missed you."

He pressed his forehead against hers. "I've missed you, too. So very much."

"I thought you were dead," she whispered. "I'm so sorry, Boruto-kun. The things I said and did when I was under Ataru's control."

Boruto shook his head. "Don't apologize. It wasn't your fault."

Yuna pulled away, just a fraction of an inch, and looked up at him. "Dad?"

"Worried sick about you," he smiled sadly. "your mother too."

Tears spring to her eyes. His face softened as he gazed at her.

"Don't cry," he murmured, his thumb catching and dispatching a stray tear. "I'm here now, you don't have to cry."

Yuna sniffled softly and placed her head against his chest.

"I hate to break up this little reunion," Shikadai entered the room. "but this mission is far from over. Ataru and his two companions are on the prowl, no doubt looking for Yuna."

"Then this is where I use my Jōgan and take Yuna back to the village." Boruto said.

Yuna wheeled around to face him. "No, you can't. Not yet."

"Yuna—"

"I'm not leaving until Kaneko-san, Yori and the other civilians are safe."

"Inojin, Mitsuki and Ryōgi are escorting them to safety as we speak." Shikadai said, before jutting his chin towards Kaneko and Yori. "As for these two, they'll head back with you and Boruto until the Hokage decides what to do with them."

"Then what about Ataru? I'm the only one who can release the Diamond Seed within him." She argued.

"You're going home, Yuna." Boruto's tone left no room for argument.

"But—"

He glared at her. "No buts," he said. "I want you away from here and back home safe where you belong."

She crossed her arms and glared at him. "No," Yuna stated stubbornly. She had to make a stand.

Boruto's jaw bulged, displeasure written across his features.

"Diago's seal is no more. I'm no longer vulnerable. I can help." She insisted.

Boruto shoved a hand through his hair, his gaze passing over the rest of the room. He murmured a string of curses under his breath.

"You're beating a dead horse, Boruto." Mika piped up. "Everyone in this room can all attest to how stubborn Yuna can be."

Boruto was silent, and he contemplated her words.

"If it will give you some peace of mind, Taro and I will be with her." Mika continued, "We'll keep her safe."

"Fine," he finally relented—grudgingly and not at all happy. He turned his attention back to Yuna. "You can assist the others in escorting the civilians to safety. After that, you're to get as far away from here as possible. I don't want you anywhere near Ataru, understand?"