CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

Sixteen years later...

"So whaddya think?" The sixteen year old Kunoichi grinned at the man across the counter as she watched the crown of his head move from left to right, examining the diamond.

She had seen some shady places in her life but this one took the cake. She glanced over her shoulder at the two men standing by the door. One had a crop of short, dull, black hair and dark eyes, and donning a simple blue suit. The other had short, spiky light-brown hair and dark eyes with a cross shaped scar on his right cheek.

The man across the counter set the loupe down and looked across at the young woman. "I'll give you 74000 yen for it."

Was this guy for real?

She slapped her hands down on the counter. "You're kidding, right? That's half the going rate!"

"Take it or leave it, kid."

She huffed and took the small diamond from the man's hands and turned to leave, but stopped when he called her back.

"Fine, I'll double it."

A smirk formed on her lips and she turned around to face him. He scowled at her but chose not to say anything. Instead, he turned and headed to the back of the building. A moment later he return with a small stack of bills and placed it down in front of her.

Yuna's smile widened. "It was a pleasure doing business with you, old man."

As she turned to leave, the other two men in the room blocked the exit.

She let out a heavy sigh. "Oh, come on," she said as she stuffed the wad of bills into her back pouch. "Look, we can do this the easy way or the hard way."

The two men lurched toward her.

"Guess it's the hard way." She said, and got into a fighting stance.

~MINE TO TAKE~

Yuna exited the pawn shop and dusted off her hands while the three men inside who attempted to attack her lay crumpled on the floor.

She pulled the wad of bills out from her pouch and snickered evilly as she counted each and every bill in her hand.

"You know, dad's gonna be angry if he finds out you're pawning off another one of your diamonds," the familiar voice said behind her.

Yuna gasped in surprise and whirled to find Ataru, her older adoptive brother approaching. He was taller than her and had short spiky brown hair and light brown eyes with slightly tanned skin.

She pursed her lips at him. How was he so stealthy? She hadn't even sensed him getting close.

She'd known Ataru for a long time, and her family had taken him in as one of their own when he had no place to call home. They were beyond close and whenever she needed someone to talk to or lean on, she knew she could always count on him.

Yuna placed her hands together and with a large smile said, "Please don't tell dad. He'll ground me for life."

"It's forbidden, Yuna," he muttered disapprovingly.

"I know," she replied in a small voice, not wanting the reminder.

After a moment, Ataru sighed and shook his head at her, amused but exasperated, too. "Fine, just don't do it again, okay?"

"I promise."

"We should get moving," he said and pointed over his shoulder with his thumb. "Mom and dad are waiting for us."