Chapter 2: The Book

Aj
I woke up to my alarm. I turned it off and groaned. "Aj!" My mother screamed. I jumped out of bed.

"Mom!" I ran down the stairs. She was standing in the kitchen.

"I thought I told you to clean up after dinner?" She spat. I sighed.

"Mom you almost gave me a heart attack. Jesus. I'll clean them when I get home." I said.

"Don't even worry about it. Hurry up." She waved me off. I went back up to my room. I got dressed and got my bag ready. I took the book from my shelf and put it in my bag. I grabbed my car keys.

"I'm out mom." I said.

"Be home before dinner." She shouts. I left and got into my car. I called Claire.

Hello

I'm on my way to you.

Okay.

Guess what.

What?

I found something in the cave.

Aj

What just wait till you see it.

You really went out there?

Duh. I ain't no punk. I dared myself and I did it.

Jesus Aj. I worry about you.

I know now come out. I'm waiting.

Whatever.

She hung up. I took the book out and looked at the name again. Il Libro del Diavolo. Hopefully, Claire knows what it means. I see her come out of the house.

I smile at her as she gets in the car.

"What's with the book?"

"I found it in the cave."

"You really took something from the cave? Are you crazy!"

"Listen, it's fine. But I was hoping you could tell me what this means?" I showed her the cover.

"It's Italian."

"What does it mean?" I asked. She looks at it and then took her phone out. I put the car in drive and got us to school.

"Aj."

"What?"

"You said you found this in the cave right?"

"Yeah."

"Dumbass."

"Excuse me?"

"It means The Devil's Book. I don't associate with demons Aj." She looks at me.

"What happened when you got there?" She asked.

"Nothing. I walked in and I was okay. Found the book and opened it."

"You opened the book?!"

"Yes." She face-palms herself.

"I really questioned why we are still friends sometimes."

"Is there something wrong?"

"Devils book. Devil. Do you understand what you just stole?" She asked.

"A book left in a forbidden cave unattended." I said.

We made it to school. "What else happened?"

"After I opened it a screeching sound came from it then I shut it. Then I looked around and everything was alright. Then I took it."

"And."