Chapter 3: Dreams

My body hit the ground as I watched the waterbender hit the blue spirit. My body hurt too much, for me to help. With every blow the spirit took, I felt something in me break. And finally the blue spirit broke and fell to the ground. It was almost as if I was the one that broke.

I blinked and my eyes burned like they had been open to a plume of smoke. My skin wet with sweat, my chest heaving up and down in laboured breaths. What the heck is going on with me?

The pink sky of dawn caught my attention. I sighed in relief and threw my feet over the bed. My throat itching for water. I pulled my self to my feet and moved to the kitchen.

"Hey, whatcha doing up so early? " Grangran.

I forced a small smile on my face and turned around. "Bad dream"

"You wanna tell me about it?"

I looked into her eyes. Eyes that have seen through the hardest of generals and war lords. Eyes that knew a lie even when they couldn't see clearly.

"I've been seeing things" I said and she arched towards me. "They're weird, because they look so real" I continued.

"What looks so real? " Grangran asked.

"The people, the places"

Grangrans eyes widened. "They're just dreams"  It didn't feel like it, but what do I know.

☆゚.*・。゚

I crunched down on my cookies as I stared out the open window. I don't know how many cookies I've been through or minutes have passed but I was just sitting there staring at nothing in particular. No wonder people think I'm crazy.

I turned behind me to see Dad, he frowned at me and looked out the window himself.

"What are you doing? " He asked.

"I'm, you know....looking at birds" That was a lie, there were no birds.

"Uhh ok...your grandmother told me about this morning" He said, pursing his lips.

"It's nothing" I said, studying my toes.

"Is it really?"

"Dad I swear these dreams, they don't mean anything" I said to him but it felt more like I was telling myself that. "Stupid dreams" An empty laugh leaving my lips.

"Hey, you know you can tell me anything"

"I know" I said, finally looking into his eyes. I didnt want to talk about it, because I had made up my mind, that they were nothing but dreams.

I moved to the door, before hugging dad. "Thanks dad" He had on a expression I knew too familiar. Guilt. I brushed it off as parental issues or something.

"If you need me I'll be at the market!" I said, tipping my nonexistent hat and walking away.

☆゚.*・。゚

I dont know how I ended up in the middle of town but I did, so that was weird. I walked around the market, looking at vegetables. For some odd reason I couldn't keep my eyes off them.

"Did you hear, they found the avatar? "
I put an ear out at the gossip and continued my study of veggies.

"No way, didn't the avatar cycle end!"

"Apparently not, word is the avatar is just a town away from here, they're going to announce who it is next week"

"You ladies wouldn't happen to know where the train station is now, would you? " Another voice said, a voice that sounded far to similar to be another gossip monger.