The Tarot Reader (Part Two)

Primtalia: School of Sorcery
Chapter Thirty-Seven
The Tarot Reader (Part Two)

Since the dining hall was off limits as teachers prepared it for the dance tonight, we all got to each breakfast outside under a cool breeze.

Vlad, who sat across from Arthur and I outstretched his arms as he reached up for the sky, "Fresh air!"

"Why do you say it like that?" Arthur asked, rolling his eyes at how excited he was this early in the day.

"It just feels like a super good day." He answered, bringing his arms back in, "Professor Wellix and Arin are going to test their potion on Alfred, Dylan, and that other professor today and Francis is also gonna put a stop to Lucy's love potion abuse with Toni, and we're going to a school dance!"

"Don't get your hopes up. The potion both the professor and the one Francis will be using could still fail and the dance could prove to be a dangerous mission for all of us." Arthur said, not meeting our gaze.

Vlad and I exchanged looks, he shrugged and took a bite of a strawberry while I turned my attention over to Arthur. "You're especially negative today, you good?"

"Dandy." He said quickly, "I just don't want to get my hopes up, I guess... I find reality tends to let me down a lot more often if I let it, so I won't."

I wasn't sure what to really say, but I understood he was probably really nervous about tonight.

As I pet his back for comfort, I ate quietly with my free hand, feeling suddenly a sense of dread for what could come.

"You should still at least try to be a little optimistic..." Vlad said, "I can't be the one to carry the group. At best, I'm the main character's love interest or just a dashing rouge."

Arthur and I turned to face each other before bursting into laughter.

"Seeing as you are in fact neither of those, I feel a little more concerned for your sanity than I am of what's to come." Arthur said as he caught his breath.

We continued like that until Gage approached with a kick in his step, he sat down quickly, followed by Gilbert and Francis who were a few steps behind him.

"So, the love potion's antidote is finally done. I caught Francis up on his half of the job, so I think everything is ready." Gage said with a smile so wide, I thought perhaps he had been replaced by an identical synth since it was so unlike him.

"Oui, oui, yes. I will be delivering the antidote to him myself so that I can make sure it doesn't go to the wrong person." Francis added.

"How are you getting in? Are you going with someone?" I wondered, since he was a fourth year and not yet allowed to go in alone.

"Oh, no, no, I am working this dance... My heart ached denying so many girls, but if I go with one, I will break the hearts of all—"

"You could've gone in a group, Casanova." Gage said, giving an eyeroll.

Though a bit offended, Francis's eyes widened a bit as though he hadn't actually considered the easy solution. Alas, it was too late.

"What about our tickets?" Arthur then asked.

In response, Gage patted the pocket on his chest, "I'll be giving them to those who are allowed in, they'll hold onto them for you since I don't want you kids to ruin a thing of my plan."

"B-But, my date is literally blind, how is that any safer?!" I debated.

He rolled his eyes again. I wondered for a second if at the rate he was going at, if they would perhaps fall out anytime soon.