Alfred's Suggestion

Primtalia: School of Sorcery
Chapter Four
Alfred's Suggestion

After eating, Amber, Arthur and I split ways. Amber, to the library to read and Arthur to a mirror. Since I was headed out to the field where Alfred had told me he'd be training with the other Kirkland's for the Freeler tryouts in two weeks, I carried a small bottle of warm strawberry milk since I knew it was cold outside.

Heading onto the field's stands, I could hear the enthusiastic voices of all the boys as they flew around on their brooms, throwing and catching a small ball back and forth.

Although I was shivering cold, I felt a sudden burst of warmth as Alfred flew up in the sky just in time to catch the ball that Dylan threw at him. As I watched him reach his arm back to throw the ball back, I felt as if I was seeing a new side of Alfred that I hadn't before.

 As I watched him reach his arm back to throw the ball back, I felt as if I was seeing a new side of Alfred that I hadn't before

(>>)

The ball flew across the sky towards one of the twins who raced against Dylan to catch it. As that went on, Alfred looked over at me and gave a short wave before turning to shout towards the others, "I'll be right back!" And he flew over towards where I was.

"What's up, dudette? You okay?" He asked, tilting his head at me.

"O-Oh, yeah, I'm fine," I stuttered, "I just. I came out here to give you this since it's cold out."

I handed over the warm strawberry milk and though he happily took it, I realised that he had just been practicing hard and was probably burning up on the inside.

"Where are your glasses, can you even see anything up there?" I asked, ignoring my thoughts.

He nodded while chugging down the milk, "Yeah, no, I don't need em here. There was a freak accident here like ten years ago with someone who wore glasses and got smashed in the face. It was totally violent and they put an enchantment on the field so you don't HAVE to wear glasses even if you need em."

"If that type of enchantment is a thing, how come you willingly wear glasses?"

"What? Do you think I look that bad with glasses on?" He teased as he brushed his hair back with his hand.

I pressed my lips together as I looked away, "N-No, you know what I mean."

He laughed lightly then explained, "The enchantment can be cast on a certain location permanently, but not on a person because a person is always moving around and that kind of magic just hasn't been discovered yet!"

"Ah -- then you've already looked into it." I concluded, knowing his answer seemed ready in his mind. He nodded sadly then glanced back over at the field, "Have you considered joining the girl's Freeler team?"

"Ah -- I haven't really pondered the thought seeing as how busy I had been with other things.." I admitted, "But I don't know yet. Last time I got on a broom, it felt uncomfortable and didn't leave the floor."

"But you had that necklace on last time. You should give it another try! And for the comfort, you can always add a seat or pillow, it stabilizes you more too!"

A cold breeze brushed passed us both and while I began to shiver, Alfred stretched his arms out for the air was cooling him down. "You get used to the cold faster when you're flying around but if it's just not your thing, you could join the team during the spring season!"

"ALFRED, THOUGHT YE CAME OUT 'ERE TA PLAY, NOT TALK TA YER GIRLFRIEND~!" Alroy shouted at the top of his lungs.

Alfred's eyes widened as he shot a glare at him, "AND I THOUGHT YOU CAME OUT HERE TO PLAY BUT SO FAR DYLAN'S BEEN CARRYING YOU THIS WHOLE TIME!!"

Dylan and Seamus began to wail out with laughter and Alroy eventually joined in with them as they began to play amongst themselves.

"Girlfriend... Oh, that reminds me! Where's Vlad at? He feeling better yet?" Alfred asked as he turned back towards me.

"No, he actually got detention for hexing Arthur a while ago."

"Yikes... Well that usually lasts three hours so he'll at least be out before dinner." He said softly, "Classes start in two days though. I'm sure he'll be back to normal by then."

"Don't jinx it by saying that.." I muttered, "But I'm going to try to talk to him once he's out. I guess I'm just killing time right now."

"Killing time?" Alfred laughed, "Well you're free to join us up in the skies if you want, we'll be out here until dinner. Oh, and if you decide to join the girl's team, let me know and I'll try to help you however I can!"

"I'll let you know! Now you better not keep them waiting any longer, shoo!" I smiled, taking the empty bottle of strawberry milk back to recycle later.

"See you at dinner then~!" He waved as he set off towards the skies.

-

Once back inside, I pondered something else to do.

I had spent all morning getting my new wand, ate lunch with Amber and Arthur, saw Vlad get detention, and talked to Alfred who brought up the idea of joining the girl's team. I thought back to how my day today differed immensely from my first day at this school.

How I almost died, was saved by Vlad, who introduced me to everyone. How my memory got erased again, how I almost died again had it not been for Alfred's deadly jinx, got back to school, had my memories restored, and got to sleep in the Ians room.

Perhaps it was those expectations in my head that made today feel rather dull in comparison.

Even so, I wasn't about to waste my last day of freedom reminiscing when there was still time to explore and hang out with people. Especially so with this newfound confidence I had. I wandered the halls, noting the school's entrance had been especially busy all day with new students arriving with their parents and saying their farewells.

Among the crowd at the entrance, I saw a small girl with very long brown hair look around cautiously as she gripped her suitcase tightly. No one seemed to notice her as she slowly progressed through the crowd and began down the hall towards the dormitories.

"Don't you have something better to do than loiter around?" Someone hissed at me from behind.

I furrowed my brows as I turned to greet Gage.

"No." I admitted lamely, "Don't you?"

He scoffed and walked passed me, "Unfortunately I've got greeting duties today and tomorrow... So, I guess a word of advice to you. If you ever decide to become a prefect, don't. I hate people and that's all I've been forced to see."

"Is that why you're the only prefect who hasn't been training anyone?" I asked as I followed behind him.

"Yep." He responded quietly, "Not many good options this year."

I furrowed my brows as we neared closer to the entrance and I could feel the cold air brushing into the building, "You remember how to used that green ribbon as a portal? I kept forgetting to ask because it's never come up, but who did it belong to?"

"No one important to you, anyways, if you leave me alone I'll let you get Vlad out of the detention room."

Weighing my options for a minute, I decided to say yes while putting the ribbon mystery off for another time, "Good chat, Mr. Gage. See ya then!" I waved to him, though he showed no interest of even acknowledging me as I skipped off. While it was annoying, seeing everything I had done to prove his innocence a week ago, I let it go, knowing he was an old and spiteful man who would probably never change his ways until three ghosts finally make him on Christmas.