Prologue

Disclaimer: This is the first "book" in the story and is thus labelled as completed, but the second book is discontinued. So if you come here years later and don't like reading stories with a proper ending you have been warned!

Thanks for being here :)

"Alec you can't go," Isabelle protested, not even bothering with a greeting when she turned up in her brother's room. She had come as soon as she had heard about the mission the clave had charged her oldest sibling with "It's a suicide mission."

The Shadowhunter turned around to her, seemingly not distressed about the whole situation. How could he be so calm? "I've been assigned for it Iz. I will go. Don't try to talk me out of it. It won't work." His voice was firm, he meant what he said.

But Isabelle wasn't going to just let it happen, she wouldn't let her brother walk into a gruesome death, the mere thought of what their enemies would do if Alec's identity was exposed made her stomach turn. He might have been a highly trained Shadowhunter but this was on a new level.

"Why can't they send a mundane? The risk would be so much lower for them. Alec, you can't go. How do you think you'll hide the block rune on your neck? It's never going to work," she tried to think of more arguments, tried to make him see that he had to stay.

But he just sighed, not looking like he would give in any time soon "You know why it has to be a Shadowhunter for this one Izzy. And about the rune..." he paused as if he'd rather not tell her "They will erase it. I don't need to block anyone from tracking me when I'm there anyway."

Isabelle looked at him with wide eyes and her mouth fell open in disbelief. Taking away a Nephilim's runes was something the clave only did to Shadowhunters who were cast out of their society. Not to someone who was about to risk his life for their country. "They can't do that!"

The expression on her brother's face was grim and determined "They can and they will Izzy and however unpleasant it might be it will increase my chances of staying unseen," he sighed and now looked at her slightly pleading "Please don't make saying goodbye harder for me than it already is."

She was silent for a moment, then shook her head "No Alec," he might have been ready to give his life to end this war, but she wouldn't just stand by and let him "I will talk to dad. He can talk to the other members of the council. They can find someone else... Alec, I can't lose you."

Her brother's expression changed and she realized her tone had gone from furious to desperate. "Izzy," his voice was soft now and he looked down at her when he put a hand on her shoulder "I promise I'll be careful okay?" However much she wanted him to promise that he would be fine, she knew he wouldn't promise something that he couldn't be sure of.

His eyes were so understanding and protective that Isabelle suddenly didn't have it in herself to argue with him anymore. She nodded and sighed. They all had been trained from a young age to fight in the war, but still, the thought of her brother going away and risk his life like that made her sick with fear.

"Keep an eye on Max and Jace for me will you?" Alec continued with a small smile "You might not want me to say it but you are the most mature of you all when you want to be. Don't worry about me so much. I'll be fine."

Isabelle hugged her brother for some seconds, realizing that his mind was set, he would rather risk his own life than let anyone else do it. When she pulled away again she looked at him sternly "I swear I will kick your ass if you manage to get yourself exposed."

The lighthearted threat did nothing to cover up the fear she felt for her brother.

***
Feel free to leave your thoughs :) Thanks for reading!