Chapter Eighteen

Bellevue HospitalCenter

Brooklyn, New York

Caleb

When I came to, a bright light shined down on my face as I tried to raise my arm. When I couldn't, I realized that a needle had been inserted and that an IV bag was pumping drugs into my system. Turning my head away, a tall figure sat on a make-shift bed. My vision slowly got better as the figure became clearer. Zane leaned forward slightly, his face hard to read. I raised a hand, hoping that he would take it. When he didn't, a twinge of sadness came over me.

"I thought I almost lost you," he said.

"Yeah, but you didn't. I'm right here." His eyes met mine and they were dark. Dark like he hadn't fed in a while. "How long have I been here?"

"Nearly a week."

"And you?"

"I've been here every night until the morning. Making sure that you're okay."

"Thank you."

The opening of a sliding door brought my head around as a handsome male doctor appeared around the curtain holding what looked like my chart in his hands.

"Good evening, Caleb. I'm doctor Rizzoli. How are you feeling?"

"A little sore. But otherwise not bad. When do you think I'll be able to go home?"

"Actually, that's the reason why I'm here. From the looks of your chart, everything seems to be in order. Your levels look good and the wound is healing quite nicely. I'll prescribe you some pain meds you can take and then your boyfriend can take you home."

After he signed off and walked away, I turned to look at Zane. His lips were pulled back into a sly grin, the tips of his fangs sticking out.

"Boyfriend?" I asked.

"It was the only way they could let me stay with you. And besides, I like the word. I think its growing on me."

"You honestly don't look like the boyfriend type to me. You're all leather, daggers, blood, and fangs. Now Old lady. That has a nice ring to it."

Zane reared his head back and laughed. "Do you even know what that term means? In retrospect, Old lady is a word the boys at the club used to refer to their women."

"So we're boyfriends are we?"

"We are, yes. How does that make you feel?"

My smile widened. "Very happy."

An hour and a half later, I was dressed in a pair of scrubs I borrowed from the nurse's station. With the papers signed and the bill paid in full, I followed Zane out into the parking lot. A mixture of chrome metal and black paint shimmered from the overhead light. His motorcycle. I watched him straddle the machine as he waved me forward and offered me a helmet. I took it and placed it on my head as I climbed on the back and wrapped my arms firmly around his abs.

The engine roared as the smile on my face returned ten-fold. Together, we raced across town until we made it safely across the bridge that leads to the outskirts of the city. I kissed his neck, his hand flexing as he opened up the throttle some more. Behind me, a series of lights were following us. For they were part of Zane's crew. The original Vampire Outlaws. I caught the eye of Colt as he nodded his head in greeting as did the rest of the gang.

From this night on, they would become my family. A family of Outlaws who would never die. And perhaps one day, I would become one of them.

Author's Note: *Looks around until I see my followers giving me the death glare* Hey, guys! Long-time no update, huh? Hehe. But on the bright side, another book is finally finished. And since I have been away for quite some time, I've also been working on some new martial that I think you guys will enjoy. :) Anyway, the next book that will be a quick finish will be The Escape Artist and then after comes the rest. I love you all! And please stay safe out there if you're traveling where there's snow. I work early mornings M-F and the storm that's happening right now doesn't look good for my commute tomorrow.