Chapter Eight

Lower Eastside, New York

Caleb

"Order up!" The cook called again.

"Yeah. Yeah, all right. I heard you the first time, Sam," I said.

Sam's eyes looked at me with confusion. "Are you sure you're okay, Caleb? You've been kind of out of it tonight."

I sighed, grabbing the two plates in hand for table four. "I'm fine, Sam. Honestly. It's just been a rough couple of days, that's all."

He let the subject go and for that I was grateful. As I carried the plates around the counter, walking over to table four, my mind kept flashing back to what happened that night. I saw his face, his fangs. Gone was the man who I thought I knew, and in his place, was someone else entirely. I screamed as he bolted, grabbing his clothes as he went. When I heard him exit the apartment I waited for a beat until the coast was clear before scrambling to get to the front door and lock the deadbolt.

I was shaken by what I saw and to this night, I still am. Only I'm not screaming anymore. I set the plates down in front of two men who looked like they were just passing through town on their way elsewhere. They muttered a "thank you" under their breath as I told them to enjoy their food and told Rose that I was taking a fifteen-minute break outside. Rose was a saint. One of the old-timers like Sam. Together, the two of them had worked at our little diner for the past twenty years.

In a darkened alley behind the diner, only a bulb above the backdoor provided just enough light as I stood within its normal limits. A plastic chair that had become weathered by the ravages of time had certainly seen better days. The seat was gritty with a few leaves lying on top as I wiped them off and sat down. I sat back, crossing my legs at the knees as I closed my eyes for a moment and took in the sounds of the city around me. Bustling cars, horns honking, people arguing and police sirens calling out for their next suspect.

The city felt more alive at night then it did during the day. And that's when I loved it the most. I sighed, sucking in a breath as I exhaled slowly and checked the time on my phone. Midnight. Less than an hour before it was time to head on home. I stretched my legs, groaning softly as I cracked the bones in my neck. A hot shower was definitely on the menu tonight. With the last of my fifteen-minute break suddenly over, I stood up and started to head back inside when I heard the roar of an engine coming down the alley.

I froze, glancing over my shoulder as the engine got louder, almost deafening. The Harley slowed to a stop, its engine revving for the last time. The rider lowered the kickstand, setting the bike down gently as he got off and fixed his leathers. Black leather chaps, a black vest, with pants and boots to match. And a black t-shirt covered his chest, showing off the definition of his arms and the width of his shoulders. I turned to face him, keeping one hand behind my back as I squeezed the doorknob in case I had to make a quick getaway.

Our eyes met as he walked around the front of his motorcycle. A closer look told me that he was armed and that I should be on my guard. I watched as his boots ate up the distance between us until he was just along the outer perimeter of the light of which I was standing directly under. My voice came out before I gave the command, let alone thought of it.

"No! Just stay there."

"Caleb," he said roughly. "Please, allow me to explain."

"Explain!? Explain, what? You're a monster."

He frowned. "I've been called many things in my lifetime. But a monster is not one of them. I'm a vampire. There's a difference."

"I don't believe you. Now I'm going back inside and don't bother following me."