Chapter Nine

Vampire Outlaws, MC

Brooklyn, New York

Zane

The sun went down just after 8 PM as the shutters on my windows awoke me from a peaceful slumber. Sprawled out on my bed naked from head to toe with my lower half twisted up in bed sheets. I realized that I didn't want to get up, for I was too comfortable. With my arm behind my head, I stared up at the ceiling and waited until my brain processed the command that would allow me to start my day or in this case, night.

I was just about to move when I heard what sounded like glass shatter in the next room. I shot up and bolted into the kitchen to find Caleb cooking on my stove. With his back to me, he muttered out a curse and bent down to pick up a glass plate that he had dropped. A dustpan and broom hung in the pantry as I retrieved them, making my way up behind him as the sound of my voice caused him to jump.

"Here. Use these."

"Jesus!" He said, spinning around his eyes wide. "Don't do that. Oh, my God!"

He looked away. Taking the broom and dustpan in hand as he started sweeping up the broken pieces. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"You're naked."

I looked down at my naked body. "You're very observant. And don't act like you don't like it. You know you do."

After he gave me a look, I bent down and offered to hold the dustpan as he swept the pieces onto it until there was nothing left. Then I dumped the combination of dust and glass shards into the trash bin underneath the counter.

"Would you like some of my dinner?"

"No. Thank you. I don't eat normal food."

"Ever?"

"Eating human food has a tendency of making us feel sick. It just doesn't agree with us anymore."

"Oh. So blood is what you drink to survive."

"Yes."

I could sense that his curiosity had been peaked by the time he shut of the stove and poured his dinner onto a new plate.

"So what does it do you, drinking blood?"

"It heals us when we're wounded. Replenishes our strength. And gives all of us, all of our nutritious needs. Like your dinner for example."

Caleb stared at his dinner of pasta and meat sauce. "What, this? It's nothing."

"Oh. Yeah?" I said, walking past him to get my phone that was ringing from the front pocket of my jeans in the bedroom. "Sure smells like good though." The caller ID showed up as a private number, meaning the Club. I answered. "Talk to me."

"Hey, man," Colt said. "Just wanted to inform you that we got a lead on those weapon crates. I'm rolling out with the boys in ten. Do you want to meet up with us?"

"Uh. I can't. I got a little situation here. But I'll meet you back at the club."

"Alright. And hey, don't forget its initiation night."

I closed my eyes. Shit! "Looking forward to it. See you soon, brother."

The call ended with me getting dressed while Caleb finished up with his dinner. As I slid on my leather vest and returned to the living room. Caleb was cleaning up the kitchen.

"Listen," I said. "I got to head out for a while. But I'll be back before dawn."

"Oh. Can I come along?"

"You can't. Sorry. Club stuff."

"Then can you at least take me home?"

I frowned. "Why?"

"Because I need a change of clothes and a shower. And a bed that is my own."

"You can use mine."

"Zane! Look, I'm trying really hard to make sense of it all. But I need some time to clear my head. Please, just take me home."

"Okay. Fine. Get your shoes on, let's go."

I grabbed my keys off the hook near the door and waited outside as I swung my leg over my bike. Pristine, powerful, with chrome so shiny it sparkled under the street lamp. With the key in my pocket, I turned it on as the bike primed itself. Then I grabbed the clutch and held down the starter until the engine engaged. A roar. The bike rumbled beneath my ass just as Caleb exited my apartment and hopped on the bike as I gave him his helmet.

Soon we were off, riding across the city as if we owned it. I ignored the red lights, the stop signs, the endless honking. But when we arrived at Caleb's place, my phone rang again as I wrestled to get it free.

"Hello?" I called out over the engine.

"Son. It's time for you to come home and see your old man."

"I'm leaving right now."

"See that you do."

I hung up, stuffing my phone back into my pocket as Caleb handed me the helmet.

"Who was that?" He asked.

"Nothing, really. Just biker business as usual. Will you still be up by the time I get back?"

He shrugged. "Don't know yet. Depends on how well the shower really knocks me out."

"Mmm. I'll call to make sure before showing up."

"Fair enough. Have a good night, Zane."

That's when I caught his eye as I made the subtle move to lean in and finally kiss him. He didn't hesitate or try to take a step back. So I took it as a good sign to continue. Our lips touch, carefully at first. When full contact was made, it took all of my restraint not to pounce on him right then and there on the sidewalk. After I broke the kiss, I licked my lips in an attempt to savor the taste of him. He stood there breathless, almost shocked by what had just happened. I sat back in my seat as I revved the engine and gave him a devilish grin.

"Catch you later, baby."

Author's Note: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Cause it really felt forced and I had no idea where I was going with it. But I do have a plan for the next one. So I will see you all next Wednesday. :) Love you guys.