10. awkward conversations

Start from the beginning

"Is everything ok, Hermione?" Lyn questioned, weirded out by the stares.

"Is your godfather a werewolf?" Hermione spat out before Lyn could even stop talking. Lyn had to sit there silently with her mouth wide open for a few seconds. Lyn's mind was racing as she tried to come up with an answer.

"Of course not! Why do you ask?" Lyn said, finally coming to her senses. She tried to act nonchalant, and she hoped it was working.

"Well, he's always sick around the full moon, your boggart was you being injured by a werewolf, his was what looked like a full moon, and when Snape taught DADA, you seemed awfully upset," Hermione rushed out in one breath. Lyn didn't know what to say.

"My godfather is not a werewolf. And even if he was, it wouldn't change the fact that he's a great professor and an even better person," Lyn informed her friend.

"Of course! But it's very suspicious, you have to admit," Hermione tried to reason, having already made up her mind about what her professor actually was. The nervousness in Lyn's voice just seemed to prove the fact.

"You're just over thinking everything. Look, don't worry. My godfather is not a werewolf, and even if he was, that's no reason to stop respecting him," Lyn told Hermione, a force behind her voice that told Hermione to drop the subject.

"Of course. I should've listened to you and not pushed it when you first told me he wasn't a werewolf. I believe you and I'm sorry," Hermione said.

"It's ok. Want to walk down to the common room?" Lyn asked. Hermione nodded and the two girls walked down the steps, each knowing the other girl was lying.

"Hey guys," Ron muttered as the girls reached the common room.

"Hey Ron. Where's Harry?" Lyn asked, sitting next to Ron on the couch with Hermiome across from them.

"He's still asleep," Ron answered.

"That's good," Hermione said. Ron and Lyn both nodded. The trio played some chess over the next few hours. It was almost lunchtime by the time they decided to stop and wait to see if Harry would come down.

"So, what do you guys hope you'll get for Christmas?" Lyn questioned, a bright smile on her face. Hermione instantly started listing out books she wanted, many of which sounded way too advanced for her.

"Bloody hell, Hermione, it's like you're trying to start a library," Ron scoffed. Hermione stiffened and looked at him.

"Well, Ronald, it's not my fault you don't enjoy reading," Hermione told him. Before he could retaliate, Lyn spoke up.

"What about you, Ron?" Lyn asked. Hermione huffed and sat back in her chair.

"I would maybe like a broom. I enjoy playing quidditch with my siblings," Ron told Lyn, a faint pink on his cheeks. "But I just asked for some candy when Mum asked me."

"Well, I think you should try out for the quidditch team eventually, broom or not," Lyn told Ron truthfully. He blushed even more.

"And what about you, Lyn?" Hermione asked, getting over her small argument with Ron.

"I just want to spend Christmas with my godfather and friends," Lyn told truthfully. It was her first Christmas with friends and she was excited.

"Aww. That's really sweet," Hermione told her.

"But I wouldn't say no to some candy," Lyn reminded them. Before anyone could respond, Harry came down from his dorm.

"Harry, you look terrible!" Hermione told him once they saw him. His eyes were bloodshot and he had large bags under his eyes.