Chapter 59 - Just Gone

Can someone explain to me how this ranking system works on wattpad? I've never paid all that much attention to it. But I was looking at the walking dead tag for ranks and my book is obviously tagged with it and I'm not expecting a number one rank or anything, I was just looking for a new read. But there are hundreds of good books and fan fic out there and I don't doubt the top ranking ones are good but number one has a good 250K less reads and 7K less votes than mine. I haven't read it, it's probably great. Had Negan on the cover and that's a plus haha. But I'd just like to know how they're ranked, you know? Maybe it's everything including frequency of updates I don't know. But there's even inconsistencies among the ranks. Like some of the lower ranked ones have more votes or more reads than things above them.

Anyway, moving on. Enjoy :)

CHANGE. I have made it so Kats guitar was left with Martinez in the back of Betty, not strapped to Nelly. I'll go back and change it before the next chapter post.

Third Person - Rick and Daryl

Rick hadn't slept. He had sat up by the car that Michonne and Carl rested in all night. Daryl had settled down in Kat's set up camping sight and let her curl into his side to sleep, but he never did either. She had passed out within minutes and it made him wonder how she did it. To him she could always get a good rest, no matter what... he had just never seen her try to sleep when he wasn't around. Tossing and turning, but if he was there she felt safe and Kat had never slept better since the prison had fallen than that night; with the gang of dead men around them, on the hard rough forest floor and a throbbing cheek. Not a single nightmare despite the blood that still stained her hands, the near rape or the sounds of the man she had left to slowly die that should have still played over again in her mind.

Daryl was up first in the morning, after Kat had rolled over and allowed him his freedom. They had gone around and put a blade in the head of each dead man that required it the night before, but it had been dark then and with the morning light he could see the damage better. The last man Rick had killed was only recognisable by his clothes and even that was a struggle with the red stains that coated them. Michonne had shot her captor clean through the head, Joe had a chunk out of his throat. One man Daryl had been fighting had a caved in skull from where Daryl had needed to deal the final blow with the heel of his shoe and the other lay gutted. Then further away from the others was the man who Daryl knew as Harley. He had a red patch around his rib cage and sticking up out of his eye was a pocket knife.

Daryl walked over to it and knelt down, pulling the weapon out and seeing the twisted end of a bottle opener. He stared at it a moment and then down to the body of the well built, over six foot man he had never really formed much of an opinion of while travelling with and then got up to head over to Rick.

Daryl walked over to Rick with a rag and a bottle of water, tipping some of the water onto the cloth and holding it out to Rick.

"We should save it to drink." Rick protested.

"You can't see yourself, he can." Daryl informed, nodding towards the car that Carl still slept in before taking a seat down next to Rick.

Rick began to clean off his face, pausing for a moment and looking back in the direction Daryl had walked from. "How's she doing?" He nodded towards Kat who seemed to be sleeping silently inside her camp still.

Daryl looked down to the bloody cork screw he still held in his hand before slowly nodding. "She'll be fine. She put this through his eye." Rick glanced over to look at the weapon before letting out a small scoff. "I didn't know what they were." Daryl added, still looking down at the twisted piece of metal that came to a sharp point, crimson red dripping off it and onto his knuckles, the blood still fresh from where he'd just pulled it out.