Chapter 24. Commotion.

Start from the beginning

"I think we had better disarm him before he accidentally pulls that trigger." Susan stated matter-of-factly. "Michael, come and help me out, I've never handled one of these things before. Though with lunatics like this about I think I'm gonna get me one and learn how to use it. Are you okay?" She looked down at Jimmy, who had disentangled himself from Fergus' hold.

"Took you long enough," Jimmy growled through clenched teeth.

"Yer welcome," Susan snapped good naturally as Michael carefully pulled the pistol from Fergus' grip.

"Miss...Miss Goodwill!" Sam finally found his voice. "I...uh....what were you doing in my barn?"

Jimmy, Susan, and Michael all exchanged glances.

"Oh boy," Michael muttered. Not wanting to have to offer any sort of explanation he busied himself with tying Fergus' wrists and ankles with some rope he'd brought from the barn.

Nan, in the meantime, had snapped back to reality and began issuing out orders.

"Abbie Mae, dear, you go back up and tend to yer little ones. Clinton and Elisha, the two of you handle that...well...that thing," she waved in the direction of Fergus. "I think one of your ought to go for the Sheriff. We can't have this man on the loose. The other run and fetch Uncle Ernest. Michael, you help yer brother into the house and put the water to boil. Sam," She turned to her husband.

Sam nodded his head. "Miss Goodwill, I don't think yer uncle will appreciate it if he finds out you were here this late at night. We're gonna have plenty of company comin' over and news will spread like wildfire. I think we'd better remove you from the scene before any witnesses arrive. If you'll wait a minute, I'll fetch my coat and boots and escort ya home."

Susan let out a sigh of relief and nodded her head. She was glad that they wanted to send her home as soon as possible. It would not do for Uncle Gabriel and the rest of the family to find any of this out. Sam disappeared into the house and Susan turned back to Jimmy.

"Ya gonna be alright?"

He laughed and tossed his head back to try and get rid of some hair that had fallen over his face. "You worried about this? It's just a scratch."

Susan had a hard time keeping a severe smile from coming to her lips, but she didn't want to make it obvious that she and Jimmy were familiar with each other. She just gave a slight nod and watched as Michael tried to lead Jimmy inside. The latter, in turn, loudly fought being held on to.

"Am I am man or a child that you have to grip me like that? It's just my arm, Michael, I don't need help or support. Awww not you to, Momma. The both of you, let me go. I can walk on my own."

Clinton had run off for the doctor, Elisha for the sheriff. Abbie Mae had been the first to return to the house. By the time Jimmy, Michael, and Nan had left, Sam had come back out. He held a lamp in one hand, the other he offered to Susan.

She accepted his arm and allowed him to lead her towards the direction of his fields. He was going to use a back road to avoid being seen by anyone who might be on their way to the farm. All that shouting and shooting was most likely to wake up the neighbors and any minute they might come running to see what was going on.

For a few moments the two of them walked in silence. At last Sam turned to Susan.

"Miss Goodwill, you will pardon me for askin', but it is past midnight and I've got to know what you were up to in my barn. Jimmy ain't exactly known to have the best...well...reputation..." his voice trailed off.

Susan could feel the heat rising to her face, but a smile formed on her lips. "Please, trust me, Mr. Carthwrite, it ain't what it might have appeared to be. I only came over because I had some news about yer other son, the one in jail, and I needed to give it to someone."