fifty nine

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
February 9th
6:34 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

"I'm gonna miss you."

Gunner wound his arms around Leah in a snug embrace, her bag hitting the floor with a dull thud. They remained like that for few minutes, relishing in the feeling of comfort that they each brought each other.

"You'll see me next weekend." She smiled and turned her face to look at him. "Right, daddy?"

Gunner dropped his arms, but was suddenly chilled. He didn't have a shield to hold up in front of his daughter. He was at the mercy of her questioning eyes, prying into the bits he kept concealed for so long. Surrendering Leah to the system was hard, surrendering the girl to her mother was even harder. At least when she was with CPS, he knew Audrey partook in his grief. Now he was the only one toiling. It was unfair in all angles.

"Of course, sweetheart. I'll come pick you up next weekend." The harsh wind blasted his hair into his face. He gazed at Leah through the wavy, blonde strands as he nibbled on his cracked lips. "We'll have more fun next time. Promise. I might even let you do my makeup."

"Woah...I get to make you look pretty?"

"Sure, kid, whatever you want."

Clasping her hands behind her back, an expression came about her that betrayed her eyes. He couldn't blame her for mistrusting him. He had routinely gotten their relationship back on track till he would mix Ace into the equation and reduce the progress they made. He was also pulling Leah in every direction, confusing that little brain inside her head, and she constantly put her faith in him that by some stroke of luck, this would be his wake up call. This time he'd be a new person.

"Thanks for the boots, I really like 'em. And for the ice-cream, but sorry I didn't finish it." Leah inspected the pink, shiny rubber boots on her feet. They were her recent infatuation, and Gunner was thankful if it meant less time getting his hair played with or nails painted absurd hues.

Courtesy of his daughter, his fingernails shone a bright, cerulean blue–she insisted he let the colour stay for the coming week. The revere she held for him made it extremely difficult to argue with her. Passengers on the bus had given him strange looks, but it was all for Leah. Her judgement was the only one he gave a crap about.

"I love you," she smiled, and Gunner's heart was liquid at the sight of it.

"Love you too, princess. C'mere." He kneeled again and Leah didn't need him to tell her what to do. She walked right into his chest and buried her face in the crook of his neck, her tiny arms wrapped around his neck. The scruff of his growing beard tickled the side of her face, but she didn't seem to mind.

"You really are my whole world, you know that?" Gunner said. He smoothed back her black hair and kissed her forehead. "But I know one day you're gonna grow up and probably cringe when I ask you to give me hugs."

She snuggled closer.  "I like your hugs and I'll hug you anytime you want, daddy."

"That's what they all say," he jested.

Her laughter was the sort that could thaw any man's ice. She captivated him with those glistening eyes of hers–a brilliant amber, and like moss creeping in on brown soil, swirling into a colour that was reminiscent of Audrey. Under the touch of the weather, blood swarmed her light-brown skin. Her black hair, so dark it was almost blue, fell in a glossy river to her shoulders.

She was such a beautiful baby. Well, his beautiful baby. And she would never stop being his baby.

"Let's check if your mommy's here," Gunner flashed her a fulgent smirk. "If not, then you're mine till Monday."