thirty two

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
January 6th
11:43 AM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Gunner had been smiling at Audrey since she woke up in the morning and it was starting to bewilder her.

"Okay, why're you so happy this morning?"

He pulled the grey duvet over his naked chest and tucked an arm behind his head, his grin facing the ceiling. "I can't be in a good mood?"

"There's got to be a reason," she commented. "Tell me why."

Gunner's grin intensified. "I'm in love with you."

"I'm in love with you too." She laughed softly.

Still damp from her shower, Audrey wrung the clean towel around her black hair and ambled to the closed window. She slid it open, allowing cold air to drift into their bedroom and rustle the thin curtains. It was a refreshing change; invigorating.

"You should have let me shower with you," he said.

"Next time, Gun. I promise."

Drying the remaining water drops skating over her neck, Audrey gazed out at the horizon–its vivid light extended across a rosy sky. These early, winter hours were always the most beautiful. New York was never quiet and she had grown accustomed to city noises, but without a doubt, mother nature took her time to perfect it all.

It was a humbling event, one that occurred everyday yet never ceased to amaze her.

"We've gotta visit Leah today." Audrey draped the towel across her shoulders and turned away from the window. Her eyes ran a lap around the bedroom, noting the scattered clothes and discarded cigarette-butts on the dusty carpet.

She made a note to clean the apartment once she got home.

There was going to be immense work done today and she wasn't looking forward to it, but CPS would begin their routine checkups by the end of the month and these conditions weren't exactly the best. Cleaning just hadn't been her top priority as of late.

Her gaze stopped its run once it registered Gunner's image. "It didn't go so well the last time I was there alone. Maybe she'll come around if she sees you with me."

He rolled onto his side and the duvet slid to his waist. Gunner's hand searched the surface of the bedside table for his phone. "I don't know if  I can make it."

Finding the device, his thumb and eyes began scrolling over the screen. "Ace texted me," he said. "We have a couple deals today, but they're later."

He lifted his gaze and glossed it over Audrey. "He still needs me to head over to his place to help bag our stuff."

There was plenty she had to say to her boyfriend, something about living his life on a dangerous edge that could either get him killed or arrested. But she kept her mouth shut and nodded. Things just only began to fare well between them and she didn't want to change their chemistry.

"Please don't hate me for this," Gunner lowered his voice, the smile dissipating like smoke. He put the phone down on the bedside table and sighed, "I want to visit Leah, but Ace..."

"He's always more important. Just go if you really want to," Audrey answered him, and her expression saddened.

"It's not like that–"