one

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
December 11th
9:34 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Audrey Rahal smiled contritely when the old woman opened the apartment door.

"Late again, Miss Rahal. You promised six o'clock on the dot. You're three hours and thirty-four minutes late," she said, glaring down at the wristwatch on her thin wrist. "You're lucky Leah's been a little angel, or else I would've left her outside."

A sigh effused into the cool air between them as Audrey clutched the strap of her messenger bag tightly over her sore shoulder. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Shapiro, it won't happen again. I've just been picking up extra shifts, that's all."

"Why don't you come inside for a moment? Come on, I don't bite."

As Audrey stepped into Mrs. Shapiro's apartment, she was greeted with the familiar smell of baked goods and a warm smile from the old woman. The space was small and cluttered with a lifetime's worth of trinkets and memories, the floral wallpapered walls adorned with framed photographs of family members and mementos from past travels. A crocheted afghan was draped over the back of a threadbare armchair, and a doily covered the coffee table. The floor was covered with an old, patterned rug that looked like it had seen better days, but added to the cozy atmosphere.

Mrs. Shapiro assessed Audrey in an odd way, looking behind the faux smile she could barely keep hanging on her lips. Her eyes seemed to soften, becoming almost misty as she looked at the young mother. Her smile, once reserved, became wider, and her whole face relaxing in sympathy.

"You're a hardworking girl, Rahal. But your daughter needs you too."

"It's Audrey, Mrs. Shapiro. Rahal is my last name."

Her grin stretched from ear to ear, crinkling the corners of her eyes and lighting up her entire face. "Same difference, little lady. Now, I won't hold you any longer than I already have–Leah, dear, your mother's here for you!"

Audrey's gaze, weary and heavy, glanced over Mrs. Shapiro's shoulder at the small girl skipping towards the door, holding her schoolbag to her chest as her round, hazel eyes peeked from beneath the hair falling over her face. "Mommy!"

"Hey, my sweet girl." She crouched down with open arms. "I missed you, baby."

Her face was cherubic, with rosy cheeks, a button nose, and a wide smile that revealed her gleaming teeth. Her dimples deepened when she grinned. "Me and Mrs. Shapiro baked cookies!"

"You did? Did you save any for me?" As Audrey laughed, her eyes sparkled with mirth and a sense of playfulness. "Or did you finish them all, you cookie monster!"