twenty two

WARNING–TRIGGERING CONTENT; DEPICTIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT
———————————

"And find a place where every single thing you see tells you to stay."
S E E K E R
.
.
December 31st
11:20 PM
New York
- - - - - - - - - -

Audrey stepped out of the elevator feeling worse than she did when she first arrived at this building. The lobby was empty and the silence was loud in her ears. She didn't know what she was doing; she was in turmoil.

Her plan was to tell Gunner about the baby. If they were still trying to save themselves, there should be no secrets between them. But after setting her sights on him tonight, he was the farthest thing from sane. She smelt the alcohol on him and saw the red in his eyes. He was chaotic and burdened and the last thing he needed was the knowledge of being a father to another. Audrey wouldn't do that to him, she couldn't bring herself to strain his weak heart.

And the prospect of marriage. Particularly, marrying Gunner. Years ago it would have been something she would have fantasized about in her dreams. To commit herself to the love of her life, to have this kind of forever within her grasp and to cherish it till her last days; now that she thought about it she felt ridiculous. There was no such thing as forever.

Audrey trudged to the front entrance, her only goal in mind was to apply for a new job and finally get Leah out of foster care. She would follow through with the disposition and get herself on track. I have to do this. For her ex-boyfriend and daughter.

She pushed the entrance door open, but the reflection in the glass startled her. Gazing at her was a now-familiar pair of brown eyes. Michael was as haunting as in their last encounter, the brooding expression he donned reminding her of the ill that lurked inside him.

"Pretty late for a lady like you to be out here all by yourself, doll-face," he said, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet. "It's dangerous."

He was no longer a reflection and Audrey was now looking at the real thing: the devil himself. Michael swayed unconsciously and amidst the distance she made sure to keep, inhaled the putrid scent of whiskey and smoke surrounding him. He continued to assess her with his leaden eyes; everything about him was wrong.

She was tempted to turn right around and go back to Gunner. She was beyond terrified that it was just the two of them.

"Let me walk you home," he said. "I don't see why Gunner didn't. Doesn't he know not to let a woman stay out this late?"

"No thank you," Audrey declined his offer as soon as it came. Nothing good would come out of it. She would always loathe him and he would always be the same vile man who knew how to take advantage of her vulnerability. "I can get home myself. Goodnight."

Michael stepped in her path and barricaded the doors. "Come on, it's my way of apologizing to you. I'm trying to say sorry. You're so pretty, Audrey. Gunner doesn't deserve you. He's a stupid, deadbeat crack-head and you're just gorgeous."

He's drunk. And he was out of his senses. A sober Michael was difficult enough, Audrey didn't want to deal with him tonight or ever. She just had to get back to Penny's apartment before midnight. Safety—it was the only thing she longed for now.

Michael slurred his words, tripping over himself as Audrey shuffled by to head out of the door. She left him behind without a glance or sliver of remorse and began the journey home. The neighbourhood was dark and the temperature dropped drastically in such a short time, even her jacket wasn't doing a good job at keeping her warm.