4. Why?!

Ethan Dolan

"What? What do you mean you don't have a home?" I questioned. Probably a dumb question to ask but I couldn't help but blurt what I was thinking.

"Forget it. Go home and leave me alone." She shoved her hands in her pockets.

"No, I'm not leaving until you let me give you a ride somewhere. A friends house maybe? Please, I don't want you out here all alone." I pushed.

"Well, sorry buddy. You're gonna be out here all night." She began walking away from me. "And I don't have friends."

"Fine, I'll take you to my house then." I stared and began following her up the street.

She let out a dry laugh. "You're crazy if you think I'm going anywhere with you. Go back to your perfect life and forget about me." This time she looked over at me and I caught a glimpse of her face. Her skin was pale, blue eyes shining bright in the night sky and her pink lips were slightly chapped from the cold, cuts visible on her face and a prominent bruise on her cheek.

"Please, tell me who you were running from." I pleaded.

"It doesn't matter, you wouldn't understand." She muttered with a sigh.

"Then let me understand." I pushed.

She sighed, narrowing her eyes at me. "Why do you care?" She spat. "Why would you care about someone like me? A dirty, homeless girl who has nowhere to go, hm?" Her outburst shocked me. Who hurt this girl? Who was she running from? I was desperate to know, but I knew she wouldn't let me in that quickly, it would take some time but I intended to know the truth. "Because I want to help you."

"Why?!"

"Because I care! Clearly you're afraid of someone. That's why you're running. You're scared and vulnerable right now. I'd be an asshole if I left you out here. You're hiding from them. I know I'll get it out of you eventually. But for now, you're coming with me." I attempted to grab her hand but she flinched and backed away from me. I raised my eyebrows at her. "Who hurt you?" My voice softened.

She looked away. "No one." She muttered.

"I don't believe you." I shot back, narrowing my eyes. "Explain the bruise on you're cheek then."

Her mouth fell agape, she quickly fixed the hood over her face. She fiddled with the sleeves of her black hoodie, clearly caught off guard that I noticed the bruise on her cheek. "I..."

"Thought so." I cut her off, scooping her off the ground and throwing her over my shoulder. I heard her gasp as I began walking in the direction of my car.

"Let me go! I told you I'm not going anywhere with you!" She punched my back but my back there was no use, I wasn't letting her down anytime soon. I walked towards my car and opened the passenger door. I placed her in the car and before she could say a word, I shut the door and locked it. Her eyes widened at me as she tried to pull the handle open. I smirked. I jogged to my side of the car and quickly unlocked the car, slid in and locked the doors again.

"Was it really necessary to lock the doors?" The girl beside me huffed.

"Yes, because I knew you would've tried to escape." I grinned over at her in triumphant. She said nothing, rolling her eyes as I started the car. I turned the key in the ignition and pulled out of the empty parking lot.

"So, are you going to tell your name?" I asked her, looking over to see her staring out the window, hood up and arms crossed. I heard her sigh, but I knew got an answer.

The ride was tense and silent. The girl said nothing the entire time. She was on edge, I could tell. She wouldn't stop fidgeting and looking out the window to see if anyone was after us.

After a couple of minutes she spoke to quirky, I barely heard her.

"Blue."

"What?"

"My name is Blue."