Chapter ten: Welcome home

Lucifer had never been in this position before. He had never had to retrieve a human from the personal rooms so they could live with him. Hopefully Jeremy wouldn't hold a grudge against him because listening to him whine all day, might actually drive him mad, but chances were that it would never come to this; Cerberus was always hungry or looking for a new play thing.

He had come to like the human a little bit, not that he'd ever admit that to anyone, and he felt conflicted on whether or not he wanted the boy to live with him. Maybe it was wrong to call him 'boy' all the time considering he was turning 18 soon but it would be many years before his appearances would age. The different time in Hell made sure that everybody stayed young for a much longer period of time.

When he reached the infinite hallway of personal torture chambers, he went directly to Jeremy's door. The guard moved out of the way immediately and offered to open the door for him, but Lucifer ignored him and opened the door himself. Inside he found Jeremy screaming while the demon, who was morphed into his twin brother, was kicking him all over his body. But the pain couldn't take away the anguish Jeremy felt, by having his own brother beat him up. "You may leave," the devil commanded. The demon rightened himself up, morphed back into his usual appearances as if nothing had happened and left the room.

Jeremy blinked a few times to clear his vision, as he looked up at the large blurry form standing at the door. "Plans have changed, you're coming with me." The human looked incredibly confused and scared, and crawled away from the man when he went to grab him, "Stay away from me!" Lucifer sighed in frustration and thought on how to get him out of the room without making him hate him even more, but then he remembered something he should've thought of from the beginning. Torture chambers take away their sense of reality, meaning they can only focus on the room they're in. In other words: Jeremy couldn't remember who Lucifer was. With this in mind, Lucifer stalked towards the scared puppy, grabbed his arm and dragged him out the room despite his protests. The second Jeremy's whole body had passed the threshold, everything came back to him and all the bruises and physical evidence of his time in the chamber disappeared into thin air.

Jeremy looked up in surprise at seeing the devil in front of him again; He never thought he'd see Lucifer ever again but there he stood, staring at him expectantly. He immediately took a large step away from the door, "Please don't force me to go back in there again." Lucifer smiled, this should be easy enough. "Of course not, I want to explain to you precisely what's going on." The boy nodded, happy that he wasn't going back into his personal room— anything else would be better and he would make sure that he'd never be forced to enter that room again. Even if he did get the chance of going home, he would remodel his entire bedroom.

Lucifer went on with his explanation as they walked back to his living quarters. "I've told you before that the three Deciders are demons hired by God." Jeremy nodded so he continued, "Well, God sent you to Hell on purpose, there was no mix-up or mistake because he intended for you to end in my custody and told the Deciders to send you here." Jeremy frowned, "How could he do that? Well, not how but like, why? Isn't he supposed to love all humans and such, so why would he just step on me like that?" He rambled on. Lucifer couldn't help but smile when he looked at the boy's scrunched up face, "Because your God is a selfish bastard." It would definitely not be bad living with the human if they could share a mutual hatred for God. It made him feel rather pleased with himself.

They made it back to Lucifer's living quarters in no time and he felt a sense of dread fill him. "This is the moment of truth," he muttered under his breath. Jeremy's head snapped up to meet his eyes but the devil merely opened the door and pushed the boy inside. The boy stumbled and was about to complain about his manhandling, but words fell short when he spotted a three-headed dog. A sharp gasp left his throat and the giant dog turned around to fully face him. His knees felt weak as he held his hands out in front of him, "Easy there."

Cerberus looked at Lucifer with pure confusion. Lucifer would never admit to this, but the look his hellhound gave him was almost cute. Meanwhile Jeremy had taken a wobbly step back, resulting in Lucifer standing slightly in front of the boy. "This is my hellhound, Cerberus," Lucifer grunted. He couldn't understand why he wasn't attacking the human rather than just standing in the middle of the room; one of the heads yawned while the other two sniffed the human from a distance.

Wanting to prove a theory, the devil grabbed his arm and dragged him further into the room. They stopped directly in front of the hellhound, and he let go of his arm, the small tremors escaping him, was bothering Lucifer a little, though not enough to do anything about it. "Eat him," Lucifer commanded Cerberus. Jeremy gasped and went to run away but Lucifer promptly held him tightly to his body. Cerberus' three heads sniffed Jeremy, and Lucifer thought his theory had been proven wrong. He might actually eat him after all. Oops.

A whole minute passed with Cerberus still sniffing the boy and occasionally licking him, when Lucifer grew impatient. "I said eat!" Jeremy feared his heart might burst with how hard it was hammering inside him, "Please don't eat me." He stared at the hellhound as if it would show mercy on him or even understand him.

Lucifer and Jeremy both sighed at the same time— Jeremy in relief and Lucifer in slight disappointment— when Cerberus started whining and lowering his heads in defiance. "Yeah, I knew I was right," the devil said. Jeremy's big round deer eyes looked at him in curiosity, "I wanted to test if Cerberus would eat you but I'm assuming he won't because he's feeding off of your kind heart— like everybody else here. So in a way he's actually using you but I guess that's better than dying again." He shrugged and went to sit on the sofa.

Jeremy's mouth gaped open as he eyed Lucifer and Cerberus warily. The hellhound had yet to move away from the human and had now proceeded to lick him all over his hands and arms. "With that out of the way, welcome to your new abode," he patted the sofa, "Cerberus come here." Cerberus merely grunted in reply and merrily carried on licking the human, which caused Lucifer to grunt too and mutter, "I'm already getting replaced."

Jeremy wanted to find the humour in this situation but he had a hard time doing so, "You tried to kill me!"

"I was just testing a theory, and he seems to love you!" Lucifer truly couldn't see the issue at hand but felt an inner annoyance bloom when Jeremy moved closer to the sofa and Cerberus happily followed like a lapdog, "Stupid dog." Cerberus growled menacingly at the devil when he called him dog. Jeremy dared to pet one of the heads— and like a switch, all of the growling stopped.

"You're a sadist and probably bipolar too." Lucifer couldn't argue with that.

__________
The internet in this country is 💀 I keep having to use my data but I don't have a lot. But it's all good, going home in a weeeek.. only 36 hrs of planes 🙃

Thoughts?

Likes?

Dislikes?

As always, thank you so much for reading!