Chapter : 20

“It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.”
                                      – Ella Harper

Misha's POV:

I didn't care about what I was wearing or what I looked like; I was concerned about Varun, and that was the only thing that mattered to me at that moment. I drove as fast as I could and reached home. I parked the car and ran upstairs, whereas Mom followed me, carrying Isha with her.

The moment I went outside his room, I saw him lying on the bed with the most annoyed expression ever because Janvi was scolding him for being so reckless. I felt relief to see that he was okay. Except for two or three scratches on his head and arm, there was nothing to worry about.

"Girl, I said I'm ok; stop now," Varun spoke and was about to get up, but Janvi didn't allow him to do that.

"Lay there until Mom comes," she said and glanced towards the door, which meant towards me.

"Oh hi, when did you come?" She said and immediately came and hugged me.

"Just now. Is he ok?" I asked.

"Yes, he is," she said and took me inside, but Varun immediately turned his head to the other side, obviously disappointed to see me here. Mom came and sat beside him.

"How did he fall?" She asked, and Janvi narrated the whole incident to her. So basically, it was because he skipped his dinner last night, even today's breakfast, and also he was in a hurry while walking on the stairs.

"When did you become so careless?" Mom asked Varun, but instead of answering her, he asked a different question.

"Why did you bring her here?"

"Varun, stop," Janvi said before mom could speak.

"Can't you people see me happy? Believe it or not, but I was happy in her absence. However, you people were so eager to bring her back, and just the thought of it caused me this," he said, pointing towards the wound on his head.

"Come on, Man, you are talking nonsense. There's no relation between these two things; you fell because of your own mistake, and moreover, you are fine," Janvi defended again.

"You want something bad to happen?" He asked.

"Bhai, I didn't mean that, but even you know what you said doesn't make any sense," she answered. Varun was going to say something again but was stopped by Mom.

"For once will you behave a little civil?"

"I never expected my son to be so rude and cruel," she said and was saying further, but Janvi took me out with her.

"You don't take his words seriously; he is an idiot," she said, consoling me. I was hurt, my heart was heavy, and I knew it would soon turn into tears, so I was trying very hard to control myself.

"Or I guess the little head injury has affected his brain," she said and giggled, making me laugh a little as well.

She then took me to my room and talked about everything that happened between these two weeks. After that, I had nothing to do, so I decided to rest. I took my phone and opened my Instagram; it was flooded with notifications. The past few days, I haven't been using any of my social media accounts. Sometimes, even I don't believe myself that I have been away from social media for so long; it's something I never imagined because before marriage, I was the most social media-addicted person and now, now I'm least interested in all these things.

I was scrolling through the memes, hoping that at least they would change my mood. Suddenly a thought crossed my mind, and I searched for Varun's account. I guess even he has stopped using it because the last uploaded pic was a year ago. It was the same picture as the one in his bedroom. Tanvi was tagged in it. With shaky fingers, I opened her account. There were many pictures, but my eyes stayed focused on the recent picture of her. It was a picture of her driving the car. I opened and saw the date; it was the same date when she left this world. She looked so happy in it. Who would have ever imagined that it's the last picture she uploaded? Why is life so unfortunate? Her caption said it as a 'good day.' Did she ever think that her good day would be her last?

As I kept looking at the picture, my heart started getting heavy, and so I immediately kept my phone down. I didn't know why, but I was scared, very scared at that moment. My heart said that something is not right, and on the other hand, my mind said that I'm overthinking.

Did she have her accident because she was using her phone? But I have talked about this with Janvi; she told that Tanvi was always careful while driving. Then how did this happen? If the accident would not have happened, life would have been so different now.

I was so busy thinking about everything when I heard a knock on the door. I quickly went to open it and saw Mom standing there with a weak smile on her face. I welcomed her in.

"I'm sorry about what Varun said," she apologized.

"No mom. I'm ok," I said with a smile.

"I guess I will have to talk to him very soon; I can't see him hurting you every single time."

By talking to Varun, she meant telling him everything, and knowing Varun, I know once he will come to know everything, he will be very angry with her, he will hate his family, he will hate the fact that they did this to him, but more than that, he will be broken more than what he is now, and I don't want that to happen. So I told mom everything I felt.

"I really don't want you to tell him everything. I agree he will keep hating me if you don't tell him, but that would be more better than seeing him hurt. Please don't tell him the truth, please," I pleaded and felt her immediately hugging.

"I'm glad I made the right thing by choosing you as his wife," she said and kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry beta, I need to tell him the truth. I don't want to see you hurt," she said. I tried a lot to stop her and finally got what I wanted.

"I'm sorry again," she said and left my room, whereas I sat there thinking again.

Varun's POV:

How can Mom expect me to be civil with her? Can't she see I'm not happy? Doesn't my happiness matter to her?

I was really happy when she left; it was like a weight was taken off my chest, and now that she is back, it feels like the weight has increased into ten times of what already it was.

Mom has scolded me enough today. I don't remember when was the last time she was this angry with me; if it was not because of that selfish girl, I don't think mom would have ever scolded me. The scolding was ok, but she asked me to be civil with her which is something I can't do; in fact, I don't want to do that. How am I even supposed to be normal with someone who crushed my soul into a million pieces?

I was trying to make Isha sleep, but she was not ready for that; she kept looking at the wound on my head and hand, running her small fingers over it. I wonder what she was thinking

, but it was good to see her big dove eyes observing everything. I tickled her, making her laugh. We were having a great time until I saw mom entering my room; with her was someone whose face was not visible to me, it looked like he was talking with someone outside the door.

"Someone's here to meet you," Mom said. I immediately asked her who it is and saw the person coming inside.

Aarav, my other best friend!

Do vote and comment.
Thank you.