Chapter: 14

Misha's POV:

It's been 72 hours, a full three days since I got married, yet my husband hasn't spoken to me or even spared me a glance. I've tried, oh, I've tried so much to talk, but he excels at what he does best – ignoring me!

The day after our marriage was incredibly hectic. Relatives and neighbors came to congratulate us, but unfortunately, they missed the chance to wish the newlywed groom as he wasn't home. Many guests were coming and going that day. I was exhausted, eagerly waiting for Varun to return. I wanted to talk, but exhaustion took over, and I fell asleep. In short, that day turned out to be completely wasted.

In the next two days, whenever I attempted to talk, he skillfully evaded me and my presence. An argument even erupted between him and Mom because she insisted he attend a 'Pooja,' a Jaisinghani tradition where the newlyweds participate. Varun adamantly declined, sparking a heated disagreement. Despite the tension, preparations for the ceremony continued. I wondered what would happen if Varun didn't show up.

"Why are you still awake? Aren't you sleepy?" Janvi asked as she spotted me in the living room.

"I'm waiting for your brother," I replied.

"Oh, I don't think you should wait. We don't know when he will return."

"I guess I'll still wait. It's something important," I said, noticing her weak smile.

"Alright. Don't stay up late, or I'll have to come and wake you," she warned with a laugh.

"Good night," she said before leaving.

Where is he? He usually comes home by this time, so why not today?

Feeling tired, I decided to rest and hoped Varun would come to take his clothes. Maybe I could talk to him then.

In the room, I sat on the bed, eyes glued to the door. Come soon, please. I took out my phone, looking at our wedding pictures. Not a single one captured Varun smiling; he seemed completely uninterested. I looked just okay in the pictures. The only person who seemed to have enjoyed the wedding was Siddhi. I wondered what she was doing now. I missed her; we haven't talked properly.

Varun entered the room, and I quickly dropped my phone. As always, he went to his closet, picked some clothes, and rushed to leave the room. No, no, no, I can't let him go this time.

"Varun, wait," I said, hopping out of bed and running to where he stood.

"We need to talk," I insisted, seeing him move ahead.

"Varun, please. I really need to talk," I pleaded.

"There's nothing to talk about," he replied, moving ahead. Thank goodness, at least he replied.

'There's nothing to talk about'—the first sentence my husband said to me.

"There is! Are we just going to pretend that we are not married, that you don't know me? That I'm no one to you?" I asked, seeing him turn around with anger on his face.

"Pretend? I'm not pretending anything. You, this marriage, really means nothing to me," he spoke, leaving me blank. I recalled his words.

"You, this marriage, really means nothing to me."

"It is just the result of you and your selfishness," he completed his sentence, shocking me. His words were like a sharp knife, stabbing my heart and breaking it into a million pieces.

"Why would you even say that?" was all that came out of my mouth. My selfishness? What did I do?

"You are really not worth talking to; you have already hurt me enough," he said, about to leave, but I stopped him yet again.