19

Logan looked afraid, and that scared Virgil. He had never seen the other side show much emotion, other than shouting "Falsehood!

      "Virgil, I need your help." This made Virgil grow even more frightened. Since when did Logan need help? And more importantly, his help! Wasn't he angry that Virgil had left? 

      "Okay," he responded slowly, taking deep breaths to ease his anxiety. It was hard, though; multiple thoughts kept darting through his mind, getting him worked up. 

      "It's Patton and Roman. They--" Logan cut himself off as his voice broke. Virgil's hands began to shake, and he shoved them into the pocket of his old jacket, which he was currently wearing. Logan took a deep breath and continued. "They're basically lifeless. They have no color to them and they won't react to anything." 

      Virgil wondered why Logan thought that he would be able to help. He had no idea what was going on with the two sides, though he was worried. He was especially worried about Roman, though this made him feel a little guilty. 

      Suddenly, something clicked in his mind. 

      Depression was colorless. Logan said that Roman and Patton were colorless. And, Depression had been going after Patton...Virgil knew that he would have no problem targeting Roman. 

      "It was Res." His voice was small and shaky. At Logan's puzzled look, he corrected himself. "Depression. He's been--he's been going after all of us...I just never imagined that he could cause something like this..."

      Logan visibly paled. "Depression is back?" Virgil nodded slightly, and Logan ran a hand through his hair, looking stressed. "Why did no one tell me? This could've all been avoided if I was informed!" 

      "I'm sorry," Virgil apologized, taking a step back. He felt as if he had done something wrong. He just thought it would be better to keep it secret! Was this his fault?

      "This isn't good..." 

      There was footsteps behind Virgil, and he jumped as he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned, seeing that Deceit had came out of Remus's room and was now standing there.

      "Why are you here," Deceit demanded in a protective tone. It was clear that he hadn't heard any of their previous conversation, and he was assuming the worst. 

      "Dee, it's okay...he came here to tell me about what happened to Patton and Roman." Virgil was unable to keep the tremble out of his voice. 

      Deceit's eyes narrowed a little. "He has business here," he hissed. "He shouldn't get out of here." 

      "Dee--"

      "No, he's right," Logan responded with a faint sigh

      Deceit blinked, clearly confused as to why Logan was agreeing with him "I am?"

      Logan nodded and turned away so that he could start back towards the other mind palace. "I need to get back to see what I can do for the others. Virgil, you should come with me. You'll best know how to take care of this; you were the one who spent the most time with Depression, after all."

      Virgil knew that he would have no idea how to help. Sure, he knew his brother well, but he had locked him away before he had the chance to do anything like this. Virgil knew that he would disappoint Logan for not helping. 

      He sighed softly, looking towards Deceit. "I might as well go with him. This is all my fault...I need to make up for what my brother has done to everyone." 

      Deceit looked conflicted, as if he was debating on whether or not he should tell Virgil that he needed to stay. Finally, he gave a slight nod. "Alright...don't be safe. Remus and I won't be over later to come check on you." 

      Virgil gave him a weak smile and a nod, before turning and following Logan, who had already began to walk. 

      They walked in silence for what felt like forever. Logan didn't say anything to Virgil, and Virgil had no idea what to say to the logical side. 

      Finally, Virgil took a deep breath, wanting to make conversation. "You're worried for Patton, aren't you?"

      Logan was silent for a few minutes, making Virgil feel as if the other side hadn't heard him. After a moment, he spoke. "I wouldn't say worried, because I have no feelings, but I would definitely notice his absence."

      Virgil knew that this wasn't the truth. Logan would do anything for Patton, and he knew that. He adored the fatherly trait, and would do anything for him. He understood how much the situation must be eating at him, especially with him not knowing how to handle it. 

      "You should ask him out once this is all over." If it ever gets to that point. 

      "No." Logan shook his head before adjusting his glasses. "I don't hold feelings for him. And even if I did, I know that he wouldn't consider me a potential partner."

      Virgil scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Patton is pretty open about his adoration for you, you know. I think he's made it perfectly clear how he feels about you."

      "Really?" Virgil nodded. "Well...I dunno. What about you and Roman?"

      Virgil's cheeks flushed darkly, and the looked down, internally cursing at himself for his blush. "I dunno. I like him and all, but I doubt he likes me. I mean, he made it  pretty clear that he hated me. Well, not recently, but I don't think you can switch from hate to love that quickly." 

      "He'll do anything for you," Logan pointed out. "Haven't you noticed that he's acting like Prince Charming to win you over? He literally made a dog for you. He was devastated when you left, you know. He sulked for days. Thomas has been taking a toll..."

      A sudden surge of guilt flared up inside Virgil. Thomas! He had forgotten all about Thomas. "Speaking of Thomas, how is he?"

      "Not good," Logan said grimly. "His morality and creativity is gone, as is his motivation and confidence. I wondered what had happened, but it's all starting to make sense now that I know Depression is back..."

      The palace was in sight, causing Virgil's anxiety to grow as he thought about the state that his other two friends were in. The state that he was going to have to try and fix, despite having no idea where to start. 

      Logan led him inside and to the living room. Virgil could see three figures on the couch, one of which was the only one who seemed to still have some life left in them. Cerberus yipped and hopped off of his perch beside Roman and ran over. 

      Virgil giggled a little and knelt beside him, ruffling the puppy's soft fur. "Hey Cerberus! You're such a good boy...and a cute little puppy!" Cerberus barked and jumped up, licking his cheek. Virgil scooped him up and looked towards the couch.

      His heart broke as he saw just how bad Patton and Roman were.