Chapter 27

"Don't worry, we shall find Tiberius before long. Based on the tracking device here, he's flying towards Broadway," Snowball declared as he hopped along the sidewalk. His blue eyes were locked onto the GPS screen of Manhattan and the little red dot on it that they were following. The rest of the gang allowed him to lead as they stayed on high alert. There was no way of knowing how the old hawk would react to seeing them after what happened a month ago. There was also the danger of running into the real killer hawk and Benedict with his search team.

"Where's he at now?" Max asked once they reached Broadway. They stayed in an alley to avoid the ongoing traffic of people while checking the GPS. Looking down, Snowball reported, "He's somewhere near Times Square. I think he stopped." Confused, Gidget padded over and asked, "What do you mean he stopped?"

"I mean, he stopped to rest or something. Probably got some food for himself," Snowball replied.

"Near Times Square, where exactly though?" Duke asked.

"It appears to be an alley. Actually, it's the alley right outside Pops' apartment."

"He must be trying to hide somewhere he thinks that he'll be safe!" Mel concluded, his eyes lighting up. Smiling, Buddy patted him on the back as he remarked, "See? You've got a brain in there pal. Just needed a kick." Sweetpea chirped and whistled. Sitting nearby, Chloe rolled her green eyes in annoyance while Ozone shook his head in disbelief. Leonard attempted to join them in cheering but Pops stopped him. Holding his head high, Max barked, "Well, let's get over to that alley before someone else does!"

"Let's go!" Snowball shouted, hopping out into the open. Narrowly missing being stepped on by a group of ladies, he streaked across the road and ran for Pops' apartment building a few blocks away. The others, while being careful not to get stepped on or run over by a car, followed him. Gidget was barely even aware of her paws hitting the pavement as she carried Norman by his scruff. She was determined to find Tiberius and hopefully make things right again. It wasn't long until the group arrived at the alley.

It seemed empty.

"Are you sure he's here?" Duke asked, glancing over at Snowball. Checking his GPS, the white rabbit replied, "Yeah, he's hiding by the trash bags over there." He pointed to what he was talking about. Setting down Norman so he could walk, Gidget padded over to the trash bags while the young guinea pig followed her. The others then went after the pair. Looking around amongst the trash, the fluffy white Pomeranian pointed out, "I'm not seeing him."

"Me neither," Norman squeaked.

"I'll never be clean again..." Leonard whimpered, lifting his paws high.

"Uh, youngsters? Ya might wanna take a look at this..." Pops piped up, his eyes growing round with worry. His fur bristled with fear as he glanced over at the others. Concerned, Gidget went over to the old dog to find what he had discovered. There were drops of blood on the ground, giving the cracked pavement of the alley a red speckled pattern. They led to something that caused her heart to plummet. Dread filling her up to the brim, Gidget gasped and whimpered, "Dear god why..."

On the ground was a bloody chunk of flesh with a tracker in it.