Prologue

Dusk had fallen upon the Big Apple. People were rushing all over the place to get home to their families and pets. Likewise, the pets were doing the same thing. And that was what this pair was doing.

Paws silent upon the pavement, a Burmese mountain dog and a Persian were walking side by side, on their way home. The collar around the large dog's neck indicated that he was a pet. The cat had matted fur and a torn ear, the sign of a stray. Despite their obvious differences, the two were pals. As close as friends could get. The feline was escorting the canine back to their apartment building. Only a few more blocks to go and they would be there. Looking up at their friend, the cat meowed, "That was some party, huh?"

"You can say that again Drake," the Burmese mountain dog replied, wagging his tail as he looked down at the cat beside him. Smiling, he added on, "Thank you for taking me home." Waving his paw modestly, the Persian flicked an ear as he murmured, "No problem Jay- did you hear something?"

"Hear what?"

"I thought I just heard something."

"I'm not hearing anything."

"Maybe I'm imagining things..."

"Don't worry about- LOOK OUT!" Jay howled, his eyes lighting up in terror as a dark figure dived towards them. Talons outstretched, it caught the giant dog right in the face. The canine barked and howled in pain, feeling like his skin was being ripped right off his bones. Hissing, Drake leapt forward to save his friend from whatever it was attacking him. Fixing its glowing eyes upon the Persian, the monster screeched and lashed out. Its large talons found its target. Giving the dog a few more swipes, it returned to the air and fled the scene of the crime.

His face all bloodied up, Jay crumbled to the ground beside the still body of Drake. The cat's throat had been torn badly and the dog's skull could be seen under the shredded flesh and crimson blood. Hearing people running over after having had heard the commotion, the canine watched the monster fly away.

Passing under a nearby streetlamp, one could see that the monster was nothing more than a large red tailed hawk...