"Touch her hair and you become the enemy in the eyes of the entire North.",Adrian had whispered in a tone chilled as ice.  "You understand me?"

"I give you my word on it.",Brad had agreed. "Provided the girl creates some distance within us."

Satisfied the vampire prince had exited from the party with an unconvinced Melissa by his side. It's not that he didn't trust her enough.But he didn't believe in creating unnecessary tension which could be avoided easily.

Guilt stabbed him like a dagger as their argument resurfaced in his mind.

She had been straight forward to ask him that one question he dreaded to answer even to himself.

Truth was he had been scared.

Denial seemed the best way to hide his feelings.

But why was she hurt.

It's not like she had feelings for him.

She would never be crazy enough to fall for someone as lost as he was.

He would only get her in trouble.

But it was different when he had tasted those firm yet warm soft lips of hers on his own. It wasn't his first kiss but he still remembered every detail.

He liked all the qualities in her which Melissa herself found weird.

He liked her for how strong she was and still so affectionate and caring.

Always ready to be there for him.

Never in a long time, he had felt something so fierce for someone before.

He shook himself from his thoughts ,reminding himself the present situation. His hands traveled to his pockets as his fingers brushed the tiny box.

But Adrian Marsden knew what exactly he had to do.

                                                                         .

Melissa woke up to the sound of the creaking door. Her heart gave a jolt , her sleepy eyes caught his tall figure entering as Adrian hung his jacket .

The weight lifted from her shoulders as they sagged with relief.

Their eyes met as Adrian fought the uncontrollable urge to read her mind.

"I see you're back."she said holding the gaze.

"I am.",Adrian surrendered to the intensity of those sea blue orbs as he stared at the floor. " Sorry to wake you..I'll just..uh go to my room."

"Sure.",she mumbled slightly disappointed that he acted like nothing happened.

"Okay.",he nodded solemnly. "Good night."

Her eyes widened when he put the black velvet box on her table leaving her alone before she could ask what was in there.

Her fingers trembled as she opened it after he was gone.

There was a shining diamond  with a platinum band. It had intricate designs and she gasped as she picked it examining the ring closely now.

The initials of his name were carved on the band.

The box had a small piece of paper folded neatly at the side as she started reading it.

Your landlady might notice you're not wearing a ring and according to her we are engaged. So for that sake thought of getting you one to wear.I am already wearing another that has your name and I think this way it appears more convincing.

From,
Adrian

P.S - Sorry for acting like an asshole

                                                                             .

Happy New Year 🥳 guys! I AM SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING REGULARLY 😭 my stupid exams are here and I was gone for holidays. Anyway I hope you don't hate the poor vampire boy that much now do you?😅 Thanks to Xavier1104  for the amazing idea.

With love,
Olivia