Chapter 5 - The Trial

Chapter 5 - T H E T R I A L

A d r i a n

I was fighting a lost war. I see no hope.It is like you're screaming and no one can hear. There are moments in your life which you never want to replay again and again. You probably wish they never occurred in the first place. But they still return and haunt you that you never forget them. You're mercilessly reminded each time of your failure that sometimes you feel numb.

"The cursed bastard!"

"Royal scum."

"Get him beheahed already!"

And then there are people who will judge you for no mistake of yours till they forcefully convince you that you were the one at fault.

It's like the world telling you that you're pathetic.

That...you are incapable

Strange how a single scar changes your destiny.

You can cry about your loss, fall down and cry harder but at the end you get up, because you have to.

" Watch your step scarhead, your mother won't do that for you!."

Even if you don't feel like surviving there are people whose happiness resides with yours. You start living not for yourself.

I can barely register the shower of abuses thrown at me. Their words get faded as my attention shifts to the wooden podium where it will be held today .

Melissa's eyes meet mine as I drown in their depth like always.Blue green orbs filled with trust. She seems confused at the amount of hatred my people have for me.

Amidst all the chaos when I look at her ,all the angry voices get muffled. She's the only thing that resembles something called stability .

Something I have had always wanted for myself and something that was always missing.

I believe in you Adrian.

It will pass.

I flash a quick apologetic smile as I read her thoughts again without permission. She shakes her head giving me a you-are-impossible look and chuckles.

I study the entire trial room.

The wooden podium was at the centre surrounded radially by rows and rows of seats. The thrones of the king and queen were beside the high chair of the main judge,The Keeper. That high chair was attached to the podium by a narrow marble plank. The front rows were usually occupied by important men and women and as I expected we saw my uncle sitting there being a nobleman. The Elders stood prepared to start the trial. They saw us entering as Father walked and ascended the throne followed by The Keeper.