Chapter 2- When We Meet

Chapter 2
- When We Meet

Melissa savoured the taste of hot coffee in her tongue. Dark and bitter just like she preferred it. The caffeinated drink entered her system like a flow of energy as she felt her hands warm.They had become cold due to the freezing temperature outside , making her pale skin whiter than usual. Her dark black hair was done in a loose ponytail with few strands of hair falling on her face.

The atmosphere inside the cafeteria was moderately peaceful. Not many customers were present today with the possible exception of a few teenagers who had come for coffee dates much to the annoyance of Mr.Gordon who believed something was seriously wrong with the youngsters in New York. He failed to understand why wouldn't they immerse themselves in books with finest literature or do something productive. Melissa was grateful to this Scottish gentleman for allowing her to stay in his spare apartment. Her English origin had played a big factor as for Mr.Gordon allowing a young 'smart arse American hippieish chick' was a big NO. Of course Melissa was willing to pay him by the end of this month once she got her salary from her shift in the local library.

She wrapped her arms tighter around herself,pulling the black jacket she wore close and tucking her chin downwards in her pullover. She had it all yet she let it go for the sake of her freedom. Marrying that young and rich army colonel was just out of question. Viktor was handsome and charming but being his wife would forever end her dreams and education. She remembered how their conversation went the last time ,before she had eloped.

"Melissa I can assure you a safe and happy life . I choose to protect your dignity till my last breath and promise to love you. You will know no sorrows as long as I'm your husband." He had smiled casually dismissing whatever she said about disapproving their marriage.

"Viktor, my happiness lies in what I want to do. I haven't even completed my third year in college. Djibouti or whatever city you call it in Africa isn't the place where I would even get a job.",she replied.

"I'm afraid I cannot help it ,dear, it's where I'm posted. The regiment needs me by the end of this month ,enough time for us to get hitched. "Her fiancé frowned."And I really don't see why you need to do a job Mels,I earn enough for the two of us to live a luxurious life. You stay in a bungalow, become the lady of the house,enjoy yourself,that's it."

Before she could have protested more he had leaned to kiss her. But that was the moment she had realised Viktor was not the right man for her. That very night after their date when he dropped her in her home ,she received a phonecall from her mother.
Their argument didn't help at all and whatever she heard from her made her sick .
The next thing she knew was wiping her tears and frantically buying ticket for the next flight to the states , to escape that was coming for her. She packed  whatever she could see in her room including clothes ,some of her books and the letter of approval she had received from Brown University. Taking her credit card could help her parents track her location and that was the last thing she wanted. As she reached the airport she took all the remaining cash which was not much, from her account in an ATM and then converted them in American dollars. It could work as the entry fee for her college.

She knew probably her parents were looking for her. But now they could do nothing about it since she was an adult. Having blocked their numbers made her feel quite satisfied with herself . They deserved it for all their wrong doings.

"Do you want to have the strawberry cheesecake Arthur prepared this morning,sweetheart ?",a brunette in her early fifties with short bob hair smiled asking Melissa .

"No thank you Mrs.Gordon.I already had my breakfast .",Melissa smiled back at her. She was a friendly woman and had instantly reminded her of her aunt Mary. The only mother figure that existed in her life till last year when she had died in a car crash.