Chapter 57

Asher

I had never been so happy to see the snow, I loved the cold white stuff in general but watching Sid play in it only made it so much more enticing. I had watched her from the porch with the others before I couldn't take it anymore, I needed to be closer to her so I shifted and joined her in the snow covered yard. She might be a powerful alpha female but rolling and playing in the snow she was acting like an oversized pup, her mood was so contagious that no one could deny her. I was shocked to see Bowen cave so quickly that he didn't put up a fight but none of us cared about the consequences of showing late to the sand pit, not when Sid was in such a cheerful mood. 

It was also very amusing watching Micah pout over losing their little race as she pranced around our group, letting Bowen set the pace. She had dropped to the back of the line to run beside her mutts, she was loyal to them despite no doubt hating bringing up the rear of the pack. The soft crunch of the snow beneath our paws filled the silence, and I kept my ears on high alert for the sound at my back, keeping track of little Sid. I heard the skid of claws on snow that was quickly followed by one of the mutts whines, and I stopped to make sure things were okay. The others hadn't noticed Sidney balking but when I turned back to her they stopped to wait, only then did they notice her frozen in place where she stood. 

One of her front paws a few inches off the ground as if she'd stopped mid-step, her ears flicked forward at attention and a far off look in her eyes, a soft whine of concern left my throat at the sight. "Sidney you okay?" Bowen's link rang out loud and clear but she didn't seem to hear him. "What's wrong Sid?" Simon whined out, but still no response. We all started to call her name in our links and after a few drawn out moments she seemed to shake herself from her thoughts, but I saw the flash of sadness in her eyes. "Everything okay Sid?" Beck linked uncertainly as she flicked her ears at him with a sigh. 

"I'm fine honest, just an old memory of the past that distracted me a bit, I'm all good now." Her link was softly sighed into our minds, I bobbed my head in acceptance of her excuse although I had a feeling there was something else to it than just a memory. I found myself trotting to her side to nuzzle her flank with my muzzle, she leaned into the slight contact almost subconsciously which pleased me greatly. The fact she was relaxing more with us was a good sign, she seemed thankful for the comfort of a friend and I was happy to provide that comfort for her as long as she allowed. 

                                                   Fletcher

Seeing Sid leaning into Asher only proved how upset she must be feeling and the thought of her hurting made me whine as I went to help cheer her up. "I'm okay, honest." She sighed as I licked at her ear, she met my eyes before nuzzling me back slightly, brushing her flank to mine as we continued on our jog through the forest. Bowen had started following a game trail of sorts and when it came to a split in the path he stopped to decide which way to go. "Take the left and I'll leave the dogs here to pick up on the way back, this trail circles around back to here." Sidney linked out. 

"Are you sure you feel safe leaving them here in the middle of the woods, there are other predators out here?" Daniel quizzed her and she cocked her head at him. "If I didn't feel they were safe I wouldn't be suggesting it, they can handle themselves in a fight. Plus I can tell they're starting to feel the effects of our faster pace so it's best to let them rest here while we run on ahead. That way they can run back to the guest house with us on the way in, without needing a longer break in between." She linked back confidently, she really did consider everything for their safety. "I guess we'll be taking the left trail." Bowen linked out gentler than usual. "Perfect, I've been needing the run anyway." Sid bobbed her head in agreement before giving some sort of signal for the mutts to stay put, and then we were off.