Chapter 38

Sidney

I had a great day helping out at the sanctuary but when I had woken up from my little snooze with the kids I noticed Jason was acting strange, a lot more than usual. I asked him what was wrong but he brushed it off before saying that once the parents came to get the kids he'd be handing me off to Micah  since he had a pack thing to take care of. I didn't press the matter even though I hated being passed around like a precious little pup that needed protection so she wouldn't get hurt. The boys still didn't seem to fully understand that I could take care of myself with or without their help, still I enjoyed their company when they weren't being overprotective jerks. 

When the parents started to come in around 3 o'clock I was sad to see the kids go one by one, but they had families that loved them so I watched them go in silence. I made a mental note to make plans to come visit them all again soon, after things blew over with the trouble on my tail. Jason was extra quiet on the car ride to drop me off at where Micah worked and when I saw the sign outside I couldn't help but raise my brows. Why didn't it surprise me that the most idiotically flirtatious of the males worked at a bar called Rums and Yums? I mean the name wasn't all that great if you asked me but it was a small town bar after all. The smell of food wafting outside when I stepped out of the car drew my attention, I'd skipped lunch today in favor of feeding the littler ones.

I didn't even get to make a remark about the place to Jason before Micah was strolling out to meet us and Jason called a quick bye before taking off. "He's off in a hurry, any idea why?" Micah scoffed to me roughly and I shrugged. "Not a clue, he's been like that almost all day." I sighed back as I followed him inside to the empty bar where he took his place behind it. "So you're the bar tender then." I hummed it was more observation than question. "Yeah, my shift ends at 9pm tonight so you might as well make yourself comfortable." He grunted, seriously why was he so grouchy? "You're not still angry about me pinning you the other day are you?" I frowned to his look of startled surprised.

 "Of course not! I deserved it after all, I mean I was being a real a** and you were right." He sighed heavily, now I saw the problem. "So what, you apologized, you were forgiven. Everyone makes mistakes but they help us learn and grow to be better people because of them. I might not know what had you in a bad mood at the time but it was handled and the rest of us moved on. Since you seem to still be feeling guilty about it, take my advice and move on with us before we leave you in the dust of your own sorrows. Just so you know I give you my permission to forgive yourself, I forgave you a long time ago." I murmured softly and his shoulders sagged slightly as he shook his head slowly at me. 

"Somehow I actually feel better already." He chuckled out. I could hear the relief in his voice, the guilt must have been eating at him for days. "Good, now when does business start to pick up in here anyway?" I raised as I scanned the building, it was empty except for a small group of 4 guys sitting at a table in the corner. They weren't much older than 23 I'd guess, if that, and every now and then I could feel their eyes land on me, but I chose to ignore their gazes. "It will get pretty busy in a couple more hours, now can I get you anything, a drink perhaps?" He wiggled his brows suggestivly my way and I snorted my amusement at him.