Protect

This was written for joanne_love, I hope you enjoy xx

"So now that's filmed, what do you want to do?" Joe asked, suddenly nervous, as they were now out of work mode and into the very new relationship mode.

"Watch a film?" Dianne suggested, resting her forearms on his shoulders, scooting her body as close to him as possible. She could tell he was nervous again, so she was trying her best to relax him. Joe gave a small smile and a nod, pulling her into him after pressing a kiss to her rose tinted lips.

"What film then? How about one to do with Halloween, seen as its topical," he replied, taking hold of her hand, walking them to the sofa.

Dianne instantly knew it was a bad idea, she hated horror movies and the likelihood of her getting a nightmare would be high but Joe looked exited and more relaxed already so she nodded, sitting as close to him on the huge sofa as possible.

"What about IT the Clown?" He said, having trailed through Netflix's horror section.

Clowns were bad, she didn't like clowns, "okay!"

"I'll just get us some popcorn, there's blankets there, if you need one. Ooh, maybe we could put our pyjamas on!" Joe said, still as excited as ever, completely missing Dianne's obvious discomfort.

She nodded and scurried up to Joe's room, where she had put her work bag. Tonight would be the second time she stayed over at Joe's, so she had picked a nice pair of pyjamas to wear, she wasn't ready to look like a complete slob for bed yet. She collected them into her arms, and hurried into the bathroom, with the intent of taking her makeup off, so she could cuddle him without getting any of it on his shoulder. As she took her it off, she let out a loud yawn, finding herself hoping that she would fall asleep before anything too scary would happen. She was jumpy in real life, let alone when being scared by stuff. Joe chose this exact moment to walk into the bathroom and wrap his arms around her, naturally causing her to jump 10 miles into the air.

"Sorry, I thought you heard me," Joe said, after he had let out a laugh.

Dianne pouted at him, causing him to pull her close and rub her back, still mumbling apologies.

"Are you alright? Alive?" Joe joked, holding her makeup free face in his hands, searching her eyes.

"Just about, that was mean, you need to wear a bell, I need to be able to hear you when you're approaching," she returned the joke, putting her head on his chest, glad they could be this close without it being choreography. Joe pressed a tentative kiss on her hair, relieved when she sighed and relaxed more. He was trying his best not to be awkward but hiding your feelings from someone and then not being able to display them anywhere other than his flat, had left him nervous about intimacy. He rubbed her back for a few more minutes before he eventually said, "come on then Love, let's go and watch this film, popcorn is ready," as he sliped his hand into hers.

"I never really watched films when I was little," Dianne told him, as he swung their hands on the way down the stairs stairs.

"Oh yeah? Why?"

"Mum said we could only watch them when we were ill, Brendan, my brother, my middle brother I should say, once tried to fake but mum caught him straight away because he didn't have a temperature. But do you know what?" Dianne said to a smiling Joe, who was enjoying how light she was when she spoke about her family. He knew she missed them, so seeing her so happy as she spoke about them made him happy in turn. 

"What my dear?"

"He got sick 3 days later and she wouldn't let him watch a film. He made me sick then too," Dianne recalled, with a giggle.