Birthday Bashed

This was requested by writingjoanne I hope you like it!

Dianne let out a tired yawn as she tied the shoelaces on her runners, sat on the bottom step. An early Saturday morning warranted her to be tired, especially because she had been rehearsing late into the evening the day before with the other pros. She realised, as she pulled her red coat on, that she hadn't said goodbye to Joe yet. So, quietly, she ran upstairs, shoes still on. Now, she wasn't meant to wear her shoes in the house, Joe didn't like it, but she was too tired to abide by his rules.

As quiet as she could be, she pushed open the door to his bedroom- their bedroom- and walked over to his sleeping body. She had discovered pretty early on that Joe was particular when it came to where and how he slept. He liked sleeping on the right of the bed with one pillow and the covers pulled up as far as possible. He wasn't a fan of pyjamas; he was a human hot water bottle and any unnecessary clothing meant that he sweated half his bodyweight away in the night. Whats more, he liked cuddling Dianne as close to him as possible and if he wasn't touching her in some way, he struggled to fall asleep. She noticed that he always started the night on his back or side and woke up on his tummy, his face reddened by the pillow. And that was the exact position he was in now- face down, hand reached out for where Dianne would usually be.

Dianne crouched down and ran a hand along his shoulders, pulling the cover back over him once she had done so, wanting him to stay warm and asleep for as long as possible. She kissed his neck and then the mop of hair, brushing it away from his eyes so she could see his face better. He looked adorable and made leaving him to rehearse an all the more difficult undertaking.

"I'll probably be back before you even wake up," she whispered, kissing his forehead, "I love you little one."

Joe smiled in his sleep and rolled away from her, giving Dianne the perfect escape.

~~~

When Joe woke up he was instantly sad. The bed next to him was empty and he was cold as a result. He was also cold because the covers had slipped off him, but that was besides the point. The door opened and closed downstairs making him suddenly a lot more happy.

Joe rolled onto his back and closed his eyes, pulling the covers up to his chin, reluctant to wake up.

"Are you awake little one?" Dianne asked softly, landing a cold hand on his forehead to brush his hair back. He shivered but kept his eyes closed, mouth slightly parted, "Joe I know you're awake, you're laying on your back!"

"Weird," he teased, opening his eyes, looking up at her face that was still red from her run home.

"When did you wake up?" She asked, perching on the bed next to him.

"Before you arrived, I was all sad," Joe pouted, sandwiching her hands in an attempt to warm them up.

"I had to get the routine down, I didn't want to do in on your birthday Little One," Dianne cooed, kissing his forehead.

"Is it good? Can I see it?" He asked, perking up, he was truly excited for Dianne.

"I just wrote it down, you'll have to wait for Monday or Tuesday night to see it. You could look at the notes if you wanted. It's a foxtrot," Dianne explained, passing him her notebook. It was a new one- she got a new one each year for each new partner. Joe had bought her this one, on his way back from rehearsals, before she knew who her partner was. So far it contained everything she had found out about all of the celebs, who she had gelled with in the speed dancing, and then a more in depth look at her new partner Dev. Now it had the floor plan for their first dance written down with all the steps in a list and tracked along the floor. Joe loved seeing her notes, they were unreadable to anyone other than herself and it was perfect. He had taken a picture of a few of them from the previous year, his year, wanting to frame them and give them to her for Christmas.